PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer GUI or Terminal?

sohlinux
November 20th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Do you prefer GUI or Terminal?

Would you like Ubuntu to be more like Windows/Mac where almost everything is done with a GUI or do you like working in the Linux terminal?

Personally I like the learning curve in Ubuntu and try to work the terminal when possible.

linux18
November 20th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Do you prefer GUI or Terminal?

Would you like Ubuntu to be more like Windows/Mac where almost everything is done with a GUI or do you like working in the Linux terminal?

Personally I like the learning curve in Ubuntu and try to work the terminal when possible.
When you drop a rock, does it want to fall?

Everyone has a different opinion on this, i prefer command line, the next guy likes boxes with buttons. It's unanswerable.

tekkidd
November 20th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Depends, on some things like updating the system and installing programs i use the terminal but on others i like to use a gui.

sohlinux
November 20th, 2010, 11:39 PM
When you drop a rock, does it want to fall?

Everyone has a different opinion on this, i prefer command line, the next guy likes boxes with buttons. It's unanswerable.

thanks for the negative attitude ;)

Simple question: Would you like Ubuntu to be more like Windows/Mac where almost everything is done with a GUI

or do you like working in the Linux terminal?

this has absolutely nothing to do with falling rocks.

racie
November 20th, 2010, 11:41 PM
How does having a GUI make Linux more like Windows or Mac?

sohlinux
November 20th, 2010, 11:54 PM
How does having a GUI make Linux more like Windows or Mac?

simply because windows/mac barely uses the terminal

pbpersson
November 20th, 2010, 11:55 PM
My personal opinion:

Remembering complicated command line switches is too difficult. If I rely on the command line, performing any simple task once every six months requires 15 minutes of research.

For instance, if I want to open a zip file I go into file manager, right-click, and say "open with archive manager" and then drag the files where I want them.

To do that in the command line, first I would need to perform some long CD command to get to the directory, then figure out the "command line" program name, then figure out the switches and sequence of commands to send the files where I want them to go. I just feel this is way more complicated.

However, I am also a firm believer in automatic transmissions for cars. If the machine can do it, why do I need to?

Maybe I am just lazy.....or maybe I like to concentrate on performing tasks that machines cannot. ;)

scottuss
November 20th, 2010, 11:58 PM
It depends what you want to do. I do a lot of network diagnostic work, I couldn't do half of it without the Terminal.

dv3500ea
November 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Simple question: Would you like Ubuntu to be more like Windows/Mac where almost everything is done with a GUI

Yes

linux18
November 21st, 2010, 12:01 AM
My personal opinion:

Remembering complicated command line switches is too difficult. If I rely on the command line, performing any simple task once every six months requires 15 minutes of research.

For instance, if I want to open a zip file I go into file manager, right-click, and say "open with archive manager" and then drag the files where I want them.

To do that in the command line, first I would need to perform some long CD command to get to the directory, then figure out the "command line" program name, then figure out the switches and sequence of commands to send the files where I want them to go. I just feel this is way more complicated.

However, I am also a firm believer in automatic transmissions for cars. If the machine can do it, why do I need to?

Maybe I am just lazy.....or maybe I like to concentrate on performing tasks that machines cannot. ;)
unzip *.zip /destination/path

valvegrid
November 21st, 2010, 12:09 AM
Both, I like the option of both being available and for certain tasks I use the terminal and for others I use the GUI which I must admit is most of the time.

I suppose by that statement, I prefer the GUI. :rolleyes:

cpmman
November 21st, 2010, 12:12 AM
I believe my username says it all - except why is this a support question?

uRock
November 21st, 2010, 12:17 AM
Please post opinion questions in the Cafe, which is where I have placed this thread.

linux18
November 21st, 2010, 12:18 AM
thanks for the negative attitude ;)

this has absolutely nothing to do with falling rocks.
I wasn't being negative, I was warning you that you've created a false-dichotomy by asking terminal or GUI. The most this thread could accomplish is an opinion audit and some arguing.

CharlesA
November 21st, 2010, 12:28 AM
It's personal opinon.

I use the terminal more often then not.

Purplerob
November 21st, 2010, 12:49 AM
For everyday stuff the gui is much nicer. I don't want to go to the terminal just to view text documents. But, the terminal is much nicer for fixing things, and other similar tasks.

kaldor
November 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM
I'd be lost without either. I'd hate to go 100% GUI or 100% CLI.

- I use Terminal on Mac OS X to manage files.

- I rarely use Synaptic/Software Centre/etc

- I much prefer scp to Filezilla or the like.

ctrlmd
November 21st, 2010, 01:05 AM
i enjoy having both options

sohlinux
November 21st, 2010, 01:08 AM
Please post opinion questions in the Cafe, which is where I have placed this thread.

sorry genuine mistake. will post in Cafe in future

lisati
November 21st, 2010, 01:11 AM
I like both. When tinkering with my server settings, I sometimes use webmin, sometimes ssh, sometimes login using gnome directly, and occasionally open up a terminal when I get to gnome.

sohlinux
November 21st, 2010, 01:16 AM
I wasn't being negative, I was warning you that you've created a false-dichotomy by asking terminal or GUI. The most this thread could accomplish is an opinion audit and some arguing.

false-dichotomy not at all, was just wondering if people would prefer a more gui style ubuntu. personally I like both gui and entering bash commands, one thing for sure ubuntu is certainly more user friendly compared to some other linux distros, I am guessing it will be more and more gui as time goes by. anyway sorry didnt mean to be brash and I didn't mean to post this in the wrong category. ;)

weasel fierce
November 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM
Enjoy and use both, it just depends on the task what I find easier.

I'd be wary of a system that used only one of the two for my personal use.

Isaacgallegos
November 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM
Many things are impossible in the terminal. Can we run Inkscape in that ctrl+alt+f1 screen?

cariboo
November 21st, 2010, 01:54 AM
Actually Ctrl-Alt-F1 - F6 are consoles, not terminals. I do all my server administration using a terminal, and split about 60-40 on my desktop, thats 60% GUI to 40% terminal, but it really depends on how I feel at the moment.

Oxwivi
November 21st, 2010, 08:15 AM
To me, each has it's uses. I prefer each CLI and GUI for different tasks.

Khakilang
November 21st, 2010, 10:50 AM
Not all new user are born with terminal in mind. So a GUI is a good introduction to Linux or any OS. Unless I have something I really desire that need the terminal I will use it but so far there is none. I don't choose Ubuntu Linux because of the GUI or terminal. It is more than that.

Spice Weasel
November 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM
Many things are impossible in the terminal. Can we run Inkscape in that ctrl+alt+f1 screen?

Probably, you can use GTK/Qt in the framebuffer. A few distributions use it for their graphical installer.

Try this:

apt-get install gpm links2
service gpm start
links2 -g

Press g and type in a URL.

RandomJoe
November 21st, 2010, 01:54 PM
I also like both. For tasks I regularly do, and know the commands well, nothing is faster than hitting the terminal. However, there are those tasks that I need to handle on rare occasion - or that just have very arcane command line switches - that can take a fair bit of time to remember how to do. Having a well-designed GUI that laid everything out where it can be found would be quite helpful.

The real utility of the terminal is when remotely administering, though. With a GUI-only I'd have to run a VNC/RDP session of some sort, and that's not always possible. If I can SSH to the box and do it all from the command line even the slowest network connection or smallest computing device lets me do what I need.

What I wouldn't want to see is GUI config tools that save settings in a non-readable form. It is best to keep the option of going either way.

CharlesA
November 21st, 2010, 02:18 PM
I'm lazy, if I've got a bunch of commands I need to run often, I write up a shell script for them. ;)

oldos2er
November 21st, 2010, 10:51 PM
A GUI is just a way to use many, many terminals. Right?

matt_symes
November 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM
I prefer the terminal. I can always find my way around with it. With all the different GUI's around i tend to get lost. If i can get to the command line and the man pages i can generally find my way again.

Don't be to hard on the OP. This may be just an audit of opinion, however i think its a valid question in the cafe (not for the main forums of course).

got2get
November 21st, 2010, 11:32 PM
what if someone made a GUI-terminal hybrid?!
where you could brows libraries through a GUI and have full auto complete or suggestions for any command complete with attributes lists
with lots of shortcut keys and all the common buttons (undo, redo, stop, and so on)

would you use that GUI or stick with the text based shell?

needless to say i go for GUI :P

Richard_T
November 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM
As I'm trying to get my wife and kids to use Linux I think the GUI is the best bet. Although some might think its dumbing the system down I think its actually opening the system up to more of the normal users Linux needs. . I just set up my network for an example. . ( windows 7 took about 2 or 3 clicks if I remember ) Now thats slick and the way it should be :) I miss the stress free world of M$ Actually I don't. But most people would prefer a plug and play system. I just like playing :) GUI WINS with me.

sohlinux
November 22nd, 2010, 12:12 AM
a lot of people prefer to work using GUIs as aposed to the terminal, ubuntu is certainly very user friendly compared to some other linux distros, most things can be done with desktop/software these days. I dont use the terminal as much as I used to but still like to learn some bash commands but I can never remember them all. I wonder if ubuntu will eventually turn out to be 99.9% desktop use like windows and mac and will it become more glossy as time goes by.

sisco311
November 22nd, 2010, 12:31 AM
Which one of the 5 senses do you prefer: sight, hearing, touch, smell or taste? :evil:

matt_symes
November 22nd, 2010, 12:42 AM
Which one of the 5 senses do you prefer: sight, hearing, touch, smell or taste? :evil:

A fair point. Maybe the question should have been 'which do you use more?'

sisco311
November 22nd, 2010, 12:56 AM
A fair point. Maybe the question should have been 'which do you use more?'

m'kay.

Which sense do you use more? Sight, hearing, touch, smell or taste?

matt_symes
November 22nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Sight :)

sisco311
November 22nd, 2010, 01:31 AM
Sight :)

Than, I guess, you see how pointless this thread is...

matt_symes
November 22nd, 2010, 01:36 AM
Than, I guess, you see how pointless this thread is...

Good response :) Made me chuckle. I guess it's how you interpret the OP's question. Anyhow, i am not here to argue.

toupeiro
November 22nd, 2010, 01:40 AM
what if someone made a GUI-terminal hybrid?!
where you could brows libraries through a GUI and have full auto complete or suggestions for any command complete with attributes lists
with lots of shortcut keys and all the common buttons (undo, redo, stop, and so on)

would you use that GUI or stick with the text based shell?

needless to say i go for GUI :P

Its called midnight commander. Old School.

MS-DOS had something similar called dosshell, but Preferred something called Q-DOS III also known as QuikDOS from a company called Gazelle Systems. (Not to be confused with QDOS: quick and dirty OS from Sinclair). It could do directory/subdirectory pruning and was very powerful for its time.

Q-DOS 3:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4QzSCQqBf1pH3M:http://perso.wanadoo.es/jedisoft/gifs/q-dos.gif&t=1

Phrea
November 22nd, 2010, 01:41 AM
Pointless thread.
We do NOT live in the 70's/80's anymore. [not even in the 90's, go figure !]

If you prefer the CLI on mundane everyday tasks, you just want to feel superior.

sohlinux
November 22nd, 2010, 01:50 AM

MS-DOS had something similar called dosshell, but Preferred something called Q-DOS III also known as QuikDOS from a company called Gazelle Systems. (Not to be confused with QDOS: quick and dirty OS from Sinclair). It could do directory/subdirectory pruning and was very powerful for its time.

Q-DOS 3:

I still use MC for one of my servers, its a great little terminal/gui

sohlinux
November 22nd, 2010, 01:51 AM
Pointless thread.

If you prefer the CLI on mundane everyday tasks, you just want to feel superior.

whats 70's/80's got to do with it

toupeiro
November 22nd, 2010, 01:53 AM
Pointless thread.

Or, I just want to make my job easier and get done faster so I can go to the pub or spend time with the family. :popcorn:

toupeiro
November 22nd, 2010, 01:55 AM

Apparently I/we're all living in the past, based on his logic, potentially before I was born... Didn't someone make a movie about this?

Hippytaff
November 22nd, 2010, 01:59 AM
Well terminal for me...one of the main reasons I use linux (one of the many reasons). windows cli - DOS is useless :-) If I have to use windows out side of work I install cygwin :-)

matthew.ball
November 22nd, 2010, 01:59 AM
Excellent deduction. You've just shown me the error of my ways. Thank you.

sisco311
November 22nd, 2010, 02:12 AM

Do I have to explain it? That's so uncool. In 2010, we use video chat, flying vehicles, we wear edible clothes...

Nobody uses mailing lists or forums...

sohlinux
November 22nd, 2010, 02:22 AM
Do I have to explain it? That's so uncool. In 2010, we use video chat, flying vehicles, we wear edible clothes...

Nobody uses mailing lists or forums...

LOL oh the 80s surfing BBS on my Z80, a gui was just a dream ;)

ntd172
November 22nd, 2010, 02:46 AM
This is a nice discussion. In my opinion, GUI makes everything easier and Terminal makes everything faster. Both are good and worth developed.

Rachel_Eliason
November 22nd, 2010, 03:18 AM
I can see the value of Terminal commands, but I have to say I prefer GUI. I don't work in the computer field and I am not a programmer. I appreciate the speed, stability and economy of Linux, but I am not enough of a computer geek to really feel comfortable in Terminal.

Also I am a visual learner/thinker. I can look at a desktop and remember which button I have to press more easily than remembering which command to write.

I think Ubuntu has already found a good balance. The GUI works great for users like me, that want to get our computers running without having to take a course in programming or sell their souls to one of the major corporations. the Terminal is there and useful for those who like it.

wkhasintha
November 22nd, 2010, 03:36 AM
GUI will be my choice too, to be honest. that doesn't mean I dislike bash.

Austin25
November 22nd, 2010, 05:00 AM
Both.

msandoy
November 22nd, 2010, 06:14 AM

Q-DOS 3:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4QzSCQqBf1pH3M:http://perso.wanadoo.es/jedisoft/gifs/q-dos.gif&t=1

I still use mc in terminal and on my server, and I have gnome commander for gui.
Imagine a wm like blackbox, where the background can be a full screen terminal with the splitting functionality of terminator. That would be just excellent.

standingwave
November 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
MS-DOS had something similar called dosshell, but Preferred something called Q-DOS III also known as QuikDOS from a company called Gazelle Systems.That takes me back. I also remember using something called XTree...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/Xtreegold-3.0.png

Very elegant for its time...

koleoptero
November 22nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
Some things are done better in a terminal, some not. Why not use all the tools available?

Hells_Dark
November 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
I would not use Ubuntu if there were no Gui.
I would not use Ubuntu if there were no Cli.

slackthumbz
November 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
My personal opinion:

cd /path/to/file
unzip <filename>

So difficult...

slackthumbz
November 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Pointless thread.

Define mundane please. I use the terminal for coding, development, remote system administration, local system administration, setting up ssh tunnels for use as proxies etc.. obviously I'm not going to use it for photo editing but the fact remains that terminal is an incredibly powerful and useful tool. This whole "Meh, CLI users are elitists" whinge I keep hearing seems to primarily come from people who are either not confident in their own abilities or just too damn lazy to learn how to use a very powerful meta-tool.

Spice Weasel
November 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
Define mundane please. I use the terminal for coding, development, remote system administration, local system administration, setting up ssh tunnels for use as proxies etc.. obviously I'm not going to use it for photo editing but the fact remains that terminal is an incredibly powerful and useful tool. This whole "Meh, CLI users are elitists" whinge I keep hearing seems to primarily come from people who are either not confident in their own abilities or just too damn lazy to learn how to use a very powerful meta-tool.

Agreed.

The CLI is much faster and even easier to use once you get the hang of it.

bigseb
November 22nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
My personal opinion:

This

sohlinux
November 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
My personal opinion:

best to use notepad and save all your complicated commands, I have been saving mine for years. it saves a lot of time.

bryncoles
November 22nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Captain Obvious* says: "It really depends on the task I'm doing at the time".

When I started using Ubuntu (7:10), I did everything in the GUI (and as such, I don't understand people who say that Ubuntu should be more GUI focussed. If you can do everything in the GUI, how can there be more GUI?).

Then I had a few technical issues, which sure, I could have fixed through the GUI, but people told me it was easier to fix though the CLI. I saw the potential and the power of the CLI then.

Now, since I started using LaTeX instead of Open Office, I find I'm using the CLI more and more. After all, I've already got a terminal open, I'm already going to have to type pdflated <filename> into the terminal. Why not also spell-check with aspell in the terminal? Why not open gedit <filename> from the terminal?

I'm starting to do more and more 'mundane' actions through the terminal, as I'm there anyway. It just makes sense -- though the terminal is still an optional extra.

* Just to be clear, no one knows just who Captain Obvious is -- his true identity is a closely guarded secret. But he is a true hero of our time. God bless you, Captain Obvious!

matthew.ball
November 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
best to use notepad and save all your complicated commands, I have been saving mine for years. it saves a lot of time.
There's a nifty GNU Emacs extension called org-mode which allows you to take little notes and file them away for a later date.

I mostly have it set up as an organiser/reminder for tasks, but I also keep track of books and papers to read. I'm sure you could set something up to record little snippets of terminal commands, you could even write a short summary of the command in your own words too.

If you like this idea, I would be willing to write a short tutorial on using GNU Emacs with an emphasis towards org-mode. But it has been done to varying degrees already, and I don't know what sort of interest there would be here.

Edit: GNU Emacs isn't only a CLI-based application, though it obviously began here, there is actually a pretty clean interface (http://dev.pocoo.org/~gbrandl/emacs2.png) available for it these days. So I guess this is slightly off-topic :)

toupeiro
November 24th, 2010, 06:09 AM
That takes me back. I also remember using something called XTree...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/Xtreegold-3.0.png

Very elegant for its time...

I had Xtree gold as well, but by the time I got it I was already familiar with Q-DOS! Good find, havent seen that interface in YEARS!

sidzen
November 24th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I do not view the question as valid -- it is not either/or but AND.

graphical user interface AND Bourne shell (AND PERL . . . ), AND the Windows Manager, back to the GUI

It's circular, not linear. Leaving out any component (and all are not included in the above) results in something NOT Linux, but just a shadow of it.

Iksf
November 24th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Just dont play games in command line, its just not worth the hours of trying to understand what your menna be seeing

Lancro
November 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
As Im new to ubuntu and linux worlds, I use GUI, I only use CLI when adding PPAs following the instructions of the PPA web page, and when someone at forums help me with some command, I know what Im doing but I need the guide of someone.