PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nvidia still failing - pre-install script says 'exit'

davedaveh
November 20th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I'm in 10.10 installing nvidia 96.43.19 The driver is brand new!
It's been quite a run-around trying to get the Nvidia driver working. I have already followed a lot of instructions, at least once. I still get caught at "the pre-install script failed". When I looked at the script itself, it says it's "triggering an error status to prevent the installer from overwriting ubuntu's nvdia packages."
Some say this script can be ignored, but it seems to be the only thing keeping my install from working.
Some say install from root prompt, some say GUI OK. Some say d/l from NVIDIA, some from repository. I have been doing root, init 3, removing old drivers, etc....
This horse is getting really beat up!

Thanks

Hippytaff
November 20th, 2010, 11:01 PM
You tried blacklisting the old driver?

davedaveh
November 20th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I double checked what I did in modprobe and found a typo:

blacklisy nvidiafb

Thanks, but I'll be back after I fix it. What about that script?

Hippytaff
November 20th, 2010, 11:58 PM
sounds like you have identified the problem, if you still have troubles, post back :-)

davedaveh
November 21st, 2010, 12:08 AM
Fixing typo did not allow the install.
Now I have to go back and change the xorg.conf again so I have some GUI.

Is my "blacklist nvidiafb" correct?
I don't know why, but someone suggested writing that phrase.

Is there anything else to be blacklisted?

Hippytaff
November 21st, 2010, 12:17 AM
Fixing typo did not allow the install.
Now I have to go back and change the xorg.conf again so I have some GUI.

Is my "blacklist nvidiafb" correct?
I don't know why, but someone suggested writing that phrase.

Don't know if it is correct...can't see it :-)

anyway, you need to find out the name of the driver you need to blacklist

gksudo gedit/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

edit the file with
blacklist "driver_name"
and save :-)

davedaveh
November 21st, 2010, 12:26 AM
Hippytaff, initially you suggestied blacklisting the old driver. How do I know what the old driver was/is or what it is called?

Would it have been nouveau? ;-?

Hippytaff
November 21st, 2010, 12:28 AM
try

lsmod | grep -i nvid

if you get an output then that is your nvidia driver, if you don't then there is no driver with that name :-)

davedaveh
November 21st, 2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks,
output is:
nvidia 4700667 0
agpgart 32011 2 nvidia,via_agp

So I assume I blacklist this driver, nvidia, and when the new one is installed (hopefully) it might even be called that too, and then what -- it's blacklisted too?
}:-?

davedaveh
November 21st, 2010, 12:43 AM
I'm totally confused. What is my OLD driver that I am supposed to blacklist? What does Nvidia have to do with my old driver if I can not install Nvidia?

Hippytaff
November 21st, 2010, 12:43 AM
In thoery, blacklist this driver, and when your new driver is installed (and not blacklisted btw) it will run the device :-)

And you might need to use the windows xp driver with ndiswrapper

davedaveh
November 21st, 2010, 12:44 AM
I'm stuck on this issue and no one has addressed the script issue.
Sorry -- frustrated.

Hippytaff
November 21st, 2010, 12:46 AM
to be honest I've lost track - a bit - so let me catch up on whats going on here

Hippytaff
November 21st, 2010, 12:54 AM
To be honest (TBH) Nividia, ralink, and BCM (broadcom Drivers) are a nightmare in linux :-)

to be clear the Nvidia driver is for a graphics card? or a different device?

davedaveh
November 21st, 2010, 05:33 AM
Yes, we are checking to see if perseverance succeeds in this case.
It is a video card I am trying to install for an Acer flat screen.
I told the guy at MicroCenter (a great computer store in my area), who helped me get a Linux-ready wireless card, what trouble I was having with Nvidia card, and he said it was one of the easy ones! He told me to run the driver install app from a command prompt.
I think that the script issue is important in my case. How can I find a new script to replace the non-script that is resident in my nvidia folder?

So is there another video card I should be using? It might be worth the $40 at this point......But we hate to give up.

Hippytaff
November 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
Have you read this?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

davedaveh
November 21st, 2010, 07:59 PM
Yes, that was the first thing I tried, then when it didn't work I d/led .run file from Nvidia. i suppose I have been going back and forth so much, it wouldn't hurt to try it again.
I did find that in my usr/lib/ I had a folder for Nvidia and another one for Nvidia-96. Problem?
If you can advise me on how to remove all scraps of previous video drivers, that might help. But what video driver is in use now?
And why do I have to edit xorg.conf each time I try to install? Why do I change "nvidia" to "nv". I am not understanding enough.