PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] internet too slow in ubuntu but very good in windows

magedsoft
November 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM
hay all :

i install windows 7 and ubuntu 10.10 at windows my speed is 128kb/s
but at ubuntu 30 or 50 kb/s

what's the problem

Gone fishing
November 20th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Need more information

How do you connect to the net?
What hardware are you using?

magedsoft
November 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM
my internet dsl
my hardware etheros lan

asmoore82
November 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Where are you getting these speed measurements from?
IMHO, those "test your connection speed" sites are no good.

Try downloading a huge file like an Ubuntu .iso for a better test of speed.

dnyal
November 20th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I'm having this same issue. Everything was just fine with 10.04. Now I'm using 10.10 (fresh install), and my internet connection, despite being stable, is pretty slow. It takes to Firefox and Opera like a century to load any site. Sometimes it loads the webpage almost completely, but any of those 2 browsers then hangs up at 99% and continues to load the site indefinitely. My wireless doesn't work at all.
I have a Dell inspiron 1464 with a broadcom wireless device. Thanks for any help.

mihaiflorentin88
November 21st, 2010, 12:28 PM
i`ve been having a similar issue with ubuntu 10.10. Are you using torrent applications ? I`m asking because i noticed some kind a conflict with my torrent applications. I mean the internet works just fine until i start a torrent client,then,no matter if i close the torrent application or not,the internet will run quite slow until i reboot the system. Does anyone know a fix for this ?

wojox
November 21st, 2010, 12:34 PM
i`ve been having a similar issue with ubuntu 10.10. Are you using torrent applications ? I`m asking because i noticed some kind a conflict with my torrent applications. I mean the internet works just fine until i start a torrent client,then,no matter if i close the torrent application or not,the internet will run quite slow until i reboot the system. Does anyone know a fix for this ?

You need to configure your torrent. BitTorrent optimization and troubleshooting guide (http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259923)

wojox
November 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM
hay all :

what's the problem

Are you using Wubi?

pabelmont
January 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I have the same problem. Using 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) and WindowsXP on one PC.

Internet speed is quite good on windows (as it used to be on Ubuntu), just awful (FireFox, Opera) on Ubuntu.

The time is not so much in identifying the remote server (DNS?) but in transmitting pages, and the VERY WORST is trying to re-transmit a FORM using "F5" as a "hurry-up". Usually, after "F5" on FireFox, I just get a time-out. Opera doesn't seem to "time-out" but takes just as long -- little blue box on URL shows slowly up-creeping numbers (56:76) --> (75:76) --> (76:83) etc.

To get any web-based work done I'm more and more using Windows, which I regret. I mean, why did I get Ubuntu in the first place?

I really don't understand "configuration" and may well have done something to slow-down my machine. But I have no idea what. What could I re-install, or what testing could I perform, to identify the problem?

TenPlus1
January 13th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Strange, my Ubuntu internet is much faster than Windows... You could try disabling IPV6:

In terminal type sudo gedit /etc/default/grub and change:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash”

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”ipv6.disable=1 quiet splash”

then type sudo update-grub

also the firefox tweaks page may help improve performance:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_1.html

jonpon
January 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM
hay all :

what's the problem

Does it actually take longer to download something or are you just going off the stats? Windows (as far as I'm aware measures in Kib/s that's (kiloBITS not kiloBITES) Whilst my Ubuntu give me the speed in KiB/s that's BITES

The difference is in the letter-case.
bits have a lower-case "b" hence Kib or Kb
whilst Bites have an Upper-case "B" hence KiB or KB

I download at a speed of around 2000Kib/s according to my router
UBUNTU measures it at around 250KiB/s
8 bit= 1 Bite