PDA

View Full Version : Great deal on a foxconn netbook

cptrohn
November 20th, 2010, 02:17 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119033 If anybody is looking for a nice unbranded OS netbook.. Just happened to look at it today... a free 160 gb HD and 1 GB ram plus they throw in an external DVD burner... all for $239 (USD) If I didn't already have a netbook I would jump on this one.

linel
November 20th, 2010, 04:28 PM
foxconn + unbranded ? come again?

alphaamanitin
November 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM
He means it is not a Dell, Gateway, etc netbook. It is a bare bones netbook that has a Foxconn mobo.

AlphaA

linel
November 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM
foxconn is a big brand. It also makes the mobos that go in Dell, HP and basically anyother manufacture, ( asus msi gigabyte create their boards @ foxconn) so by saying a foxconn laptop is unbranded... i dont get it...

alphaamanitin
November 20th, 2010, 04:47 PM
As I said he was meaning you are not buying a computer that was sold by the big PC manufacturers, not that the parts in the computer are not brand names. This means your computer comes completely empty of things like an OS, and often a processor or ram. Just look up what bare bone computers are. That is what he really means. Though I have to say looking at newegg it would seem to indicate that Foxconn assembled the computer and it is a Foxconn brand, not just a bare bone computer.

Yeah, I know technically it is branded, but I think I have captured the spirit of what he meant.

AlphaA

Spice Weasel
November 20th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I probably wouldn't buy Foxconn. They have been taken to court for using sweatshop labour and I've heard horror stories with using Linux with their boards..

czr114
November 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I probably wouldn't buy Foxconn. They have been taken to court for using sweatshop labour and I've heard horror stories with using Linux with their boards..

Foxconn is the world's largest contract fabricator of electronics. Their stuff is in so much of what we buy. That may present some practical problems of its own.

madjr
November 20th, 2010, 05:51 PM

well it does say it officially supports an in house linux distro.

"Support Windows XP, Linux FoxOS Optional"

so am pretty sure ubuntu would work or another distro specially for netbooks, like jolicloud.

for just $239, its worth a try.

Also you're not paying the msft tax, since it comes with no OS. Everyone was asking for that, so thats a plus! ;)

NCLI
November 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Don't worry, they all use sweatshops. Foxconn just gets a lot of attention because they make the iPhone.

cptrohn
November 20th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Ok to clarify unbranded to me means that it isn't coming from Dell, HP, Asus etc........ and you can configure it how you want from the get go. But neither here nor there it's still a great deal.