PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] display messed up after installing 10.10 (Noob needs help)

Beandip408
November 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM
okay im a super noob here when it comes to anything non-windows. im trying to branch out and hopefully leave windows behind. so when refering to anything that i need to do, please treat me like your grandmother with baby step instructions.

so i installed a clean installation on my HP Pavillion TX2000 and it ran just fine. after i restarted and removed the CD it boots to a screen where it says "Ubuntu" shortly there after, the display gets all messed up and stays that way. what do i do?
p.s. the video chip for this laptop is: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (hopefully that will get someone here to help)

Beandip408
November 20th, 2010, 08:06 AM
any help at all?

Beandip408
November 21st, 2010, 02:11 AM
geez. well at least with windows somone is there to offer help....

Favux
November 21st, 2010, 04:33 AM
Hi Beandip408,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

I have a TX2000 and I'm in Karmic. I don't know much about installation video problems which is why I didn't answer earlier. I was hoping someone who knew something would help you.

As far as I know the Open Source video drivers should work for your video chipset in Maverick. So its a little bit of a puzzle. When you start up chose the option that lets you look at a menu. See if there is an option to use the VESA video driver. There use to be anyway. Maybe Safe Video or something? That will be lower resolution. But at least the Desktop should boot if it's a video problem and then you can install the proprietary Nvidia drivers through Hardware Drivers.

Hope this helps.