PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem After Upgrading

Davy49
November 19th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hi All,As I'm still learning how to use linux/ubuntu, I probably shouldn't have tried to upgrade from ubuntu 10.4 to 10.10 . Everything seemed to go well during the upgrading process until towards the end of the upgrade process. I was notified that the system was deleteing 'obsolete' software, and I think I noticed something about the bootloader being deleted. Now after the upgrade process, when I first turn on my laptop, I still receive the operating system choice screen, but when I highlight and press enter to choose ubuntu, I receive the message software not found. I have ubuntu installed on my c: drive along with microsoft windows 7 home premium edition. When I go into windows explorer under program files, ubuntu is still there as before, I just can't get into it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this without having to do a complete re-install ?Thanks,David

Quackers
November 19th, 2010, 08:54 PM
If you boot into the Ubuntu Live cd/usb and select "try ubuntu" then go to the site below and download the boot script to your DESKTOP then open a terminal and run the command given on the first page of that site. This will produce a results.txt file on your desktop. Please copy the contents of that file and paste it between CODE tags in your next post. For CODE tags click on New Reply (not quick reply) and then click on the # symbol in the toolbar.
This will give a full overview of your system.
Thanks.

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Davy49
November 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Dear Quackers,I just downloaded the latest ubuntu iso image (ver.#10.10), I'll burn that to a blank disc. and do as you suggested. I'll get back soon.Thanks,David

Davy49
November 20th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Dear Quackers,
I guess there must have been something wrong with the iso file that I downloaded and burnt to a disc. I never could get it to load correctly, now at least ubuntu informed me it was un-installed on my laptop.
David