PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Another how to autostart an app in Gnome question

ubutu
November 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Ok, so before I go off messing with sudo I'll ask.

I installed 'Alarm Clock' from the Software Center and would like to have said app autostarts. There is an option in Alarm Clock to autostart with Gnome but that doesn't work so I assume the reason being I'm not root.

How to autostart Alarm Clock?

Also, in System > Preferences > Startup Applications, the 'Add' asks for a command. Is this like Windows whereas I simply point it to the app I want started? I don't even know where apps are installed. Who said ignorance is bliss?

tom4everitt
November 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
The method I would use to autostart the alarm clock is to add it in

System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications

as you mention. The command you want is the executable file that launches the program. These are generally located in /usr/bin (in some cases /bin or /usr/local/bin or /opt). So the command you want is probably

/usr/bin/alarm-clock

but just

alarm-clock

usually work as well.

If you absolutely cannot find the file/command, you can look in System->Preferences->Main menu, find the program there, click on properties. There you will always find the command.

sisco311
November 19th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Actually the command is:

alarmclock

But anyway, go to alarmclock -> Edit -> Preferences and select Start the program automatically with GNOME.

Or copy its .desktop file to ~/.config/autostart; in a terminal run:

mkdir -p ~/.config/autostart
cp /usr/share/applications/alarm-clock.desktop ~/.config/autostart

ubutu
November 19th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Thank you for the replies.

Browsing via System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications Add option, the command is
/usr/bin/alarmclockLol, my core problem was I didn't know where installed apps were located, else I'd done this already.........

@sisco311
There wasn't a desktop icon and "go to alarmclock -> Edit -> Preferences and select Start the program automatically with GNOME." didn't work for me long before I made this post which then had me thinking I need sudo.:grin: