PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Selecting Multiple Files With Shift + arrow, Tux Commander, Gnome Commander

tinker123
November 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx
Tux Commander 0.6.7.0-dev

When I use the default graphical file manger in Ubuntu, holding down the shift key and pressing the up or down arrow keys will select multiple files.

This doesn't happen in Tux Commander or Gnome Commander.

I tried looking through the preferences of each application and googling on my question. No dice.

Is there anything I can do to get this functionality?

Thanks in advance

tinker123
November 23rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
I found the problem with Gnome Commander.

In Settings > Options > Layout > Color Scheme there is an option to
"Respect Theme Colors"

If that option is used SHIFT + DOWN ( down arrow key or up arrow key ) will select multiple files, but you can't tell because the colors will not change. The same situation happens if you uncheck the option "Colorize files according to the LS_Colorize environmental variable.

I gave double commander, tux commander and krusader a look at people's suggestions.

I was impressed with double commander and tux commander very much as both were very close in look-and-feel to Total Commander on Microsoft Windows ( which I read runs in WINE ). Krusader seemed to be the most different in layout, look and feel, as well as annoyingly putting options I couldn't care about in obvious places, the vice-versa.

I don't like the look and feel of Gnome Commander, but it has the most functionality, so I am going to stick with it. I like the built in FTP client, it is a huge convenience now that I am working on a friend's very large web site. The context menu has the standard Gnome "Properties" option so I know where to easily find the functionality related to that. It also comes with the file associations and file handling as a default that I would get from Nautilus without having to put it in myself. Associating apps with file types was a bigger PITA with the other apps. Some of the dialogs were confusing and make the user go find the app in their directory tree.......no small task in linux.

So, ugly as it is, Gnome Commander is it.

I might just keep double commander and tux commander installed to watch how those apps progress, they have everything else right so far.