PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Installation Issues

ricomoss
November 19th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I'm attempting to install Kubuntu on a new laptop but seem to be having some strange issues.

It's a Dell Latitude E5410 with 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM and Intel Core i5-520M(2.4GHz). I'm trying to install Kubuntu 10.10.

When I restart the machine and boot from the CD for an initial install it seems to hang for a VERY long time. It will eventually get to the boot options (after hours) but seems sluggish.

Once the install gets going everything seems decent...except for that I can't seem to get it to finish.

I know the CD is good since I used it to get Kubuntu on 2 desktops and another laptop in the last 48 hours. I've also burned another CD just to make sure. The checksum was spot on.

Does anyone know what I can do to get this remedied?

ricomoss
November 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I've done a bit more research and found out it's a known bug.

The 'ole "failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled error on boot" problem.

I hadn't noticed it since it flashes so quickly during "boot". Everyone who reported this issue says they can install/boot but don't get very good performance and often crashes. I haven't yet been able to get my computer to boot. :(

I guess I'm going to revert back to an older version of Kubuntu until they get this issue fixed.

I guess it has something to do with the iCore CPU.