PDA

View Full Version : how does one go about joining string variables in Bash?

argedion
November 19th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I am new to Bash programming and I would like to be able to concatenate two variables together for output for a backup bash script I'm currently working on.

An example is :
Mydir="/home/argedion"
file1="/afile.7z
file2="/bfile.7z

In vb I would
Mydir & file1

Is this simular in bash?

ziekfiguur
November 19th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Bash is even easier, since variables will automatically be expanded in a string.
So you can just use

fullname="${Mydir}${file1}"

the {} aren't even necessary, although i think it makes it more readable.

argedion
November 19th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks a bunch I have a few files I'm saving to the same directory and I want to be able to make it easier :D

Vox754
November 19th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I am new to Bash programming and I would like to be able to concatenate two variables together for output for a backup bash script I'm currently working on.

An example is :
Mydir="/home/argedion"
file1="/afile.7z
file2="/bfile.7z

In vb I would
Mydir & file1

Is this simular in bash?

I do not recommend including the slash ( / ) as part of the string; I would put it explicitly as part of the string concatenation. This makes it evident that it is a path you are building and not other random string.

For example:

full="${HOME}/${var_1}/${var_2}"

If you skim through this, you can't tell if it's a path or some other variable you are building:

full="${var_3}${var_4}"

The braces { } help define the variable when it contains characters that also appear in directories. You can include them everytime, or you may leave them out when there is no confusion.

blah="$HOME/${var}_one_two" # The variable is 'var'
blah="$HOME/${var_one}_two" # The variable is 'var_one'
blah="$HOME/${var_one_two}" # The variable is 'var_one_two'

Notice the use of $HOME. There are several other variables that are set by bash, including $USER, $SHELL, and others.

argedion
November 19th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks Vox