PDA

View Full Version : Non consumer / cheapskate month

weasel fierce
November 19th, 2010, 07:14 AM
So its close to 30 days to christmas, the holy grail of the consumer god.

As such, I am going to do an experiment this year.

Until December 25th, the following things will be in effect for me:

All music must be from bands that give it away for free online.

All computer games must be freeware or open source.

All tabletop games I play (RPG and wargame) must be freeware games.

All movies or shows watched must be things that are available online for free.

The plan is to experience as much content as possible, hear new bands, try new things.. while spending as little as possible.

Evil-Ernie
November 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Its a good personal challenge to set yourself, I last year was fed up with the fact on the short trip to work every day I past 4 Tescos yet no other shops so I decided to not use them and still to this day I haven't bought anything from Tesco.
I am not preaching, its just a personal thing I do on something that pees me off and I want to feel like I'm doing something about it! :D

Anyway to help you on your quest check out my band http://www.reverbnation.com/notrocketscience which has music to listen to there, I think for some tracks (I don't administer that page) you have to sign up to our mailing list but other than that they are freeeee! ;)

weasel fierce
November 19th, 2010, 06:22 PM
hey thanks :) I'll check you guys out

earthpigg
November 19th, 2010, 07:23 PM
good luck.

and it should work out well for you - your committment ends when the sales start.

weasel fierce
November 19th, 2010, 07:29 PM
good luck.

and it should work out well for you - your committment ends when the sales start.

yeah, indeed :)

The big exception I'll make is that we'll still get some nice toys for my son. He's 3 and thinks dinosaurs and godzilla are the coolest things in the world, so we'll get him some dino toys and a few Godzilla DVD's.

Once the 25th hits, I'll evaluate and we'll go from there.

LowSky
November 19th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I too have entered cheapskate mode. Except I just purchased a round trip flight for early next year. The price was so low I couldn't wait longer.
Other than that The only things I pay money for are education, food, and transportation.

era86
November 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
you are a shareholder's worst nightmare

weasel fierce
November 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
you are a shareholder's worst nightmare

I work for a giant corporation, owned by another giant corporation, and our contract is doing work for a third giant corporation.
This is my way of repenting for my sins ;)