PDA

View Full Version : Elive OS

xbobby_bobx
November 19th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Elive OS

When the first time I downloaded Elive OS I was surprised with the the operating system. It was stable, high graphic and incredibly fast with these visual effects it was so amazing.

The first time I tried to run it on an ATI old graphic card it failed because the Graphic card was stupidly old so I tried it on older machine which has a Nevada 96 video card with 128 MB Ram, I thought it will never work but it was worth the try. After few seconds the OS worked perfectly with a crazy high visual effects.

I think Elive OS is pretty remarkable OS because it's based on Debian which it gives the operating system the stability and reliability I would recommend it for users who use old computers with a real hardware because the OS is really light

I didn't have the chance to use the OS entirely because I didn't install it and since I don't have a credit card I decided to use the easy way which is writing this article for many reasons:
1. People would have an idea about what the OS is.
2. People can believe that Elive is actually very light for the old hardware.
3.I can install it on my computer and share my experience with other people.

Even after getting my Module key number I will try to write many articles about Elive to show people that this OS is actually a real good Linux OS and I'm going to replace it with my MS Windows. :popcorn:

lisati
November 19th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Not a support question. Moved to "Community Cafe"

Naiki Muliaina
November 19th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I loved Elive, shame there was no 64 bit version.

Iksf
November 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Always seemed pointless to me, would have prefered a good method to set it up on Ubuntu instead of an OS

beastrace91
November 19th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Elive is fantastic if you ignore the fact that it is based on both an old debian build AND an old Enlightenment build.

This means that getting a good deal of modern hardware to work under the OS takes a HUGE deal of work. (Function volume keys don't even work OOTB on the system!)

If you would like to try a *modern* Enlightenment distro please check out one of my two projects

Pinguy E17 Remix (http://www.pinguyos.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=22)
Bodhi Linux (http://bodhilinux.com/)

Cheers,
~Jeff

snowpine
November 19th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I paid for Elive and installed it on my netbook, but got rid of it a month later. I didn't feel it was worth the $15 due to the lack of updates. I do think the developer has a nice aesthetic sense; the Elive desktop on top of a better-supported base distro would be a nice project.