PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Set Up Help Q&A

PariswasBerlin
November 18th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone.
Yes I'm new here, and sorry I'm creating a thread so quickly as well.
I'm not completely new with linux, or unix systems for that matter. But I did want to ask some advice from some people.
Here's what I've got I'm using an EEE PC (Asus) using an Intel Atom at 1.66GHz, and only about 1GB RAM. Now, the hard drive space is large enough, however I'm looking to do a complete reinstallation, using Ubuntu. Why Ubuntu? Because so far, it is a growing community with a lot of following and user friendliness.

However, here's the issues I'm running into. I'm going to back up all of my data onto an external hard drive, so I'll have everything I need. However, will there be problems getting onto after Ubuntu is installed? Also, the set up I was looking to do (since I mostly use this netbook for School and home) I was going to dock the netbook with a wireless keyboard and mouse, however connect the screen to my HD Samsung TV. Will this be a problem as well?

And I only have one major concern after this. I use, live, and can't breathe, without my BlackBerry. How well does a BB get along with Ubuntu?

I know it's a lot of questions. I mean, I'm not going to technical, as I'm aware I can install Ubuntu via USB, and I know all the set ups I'll need. Wifi connection isn't an issue for me either as my place only has a cable connection.

Anyways, if anyone could give some tips or advice on possible problems I'd run into, it would be a huge help.

I don't have much to offer in return. Stock Investment tips, maybe?

cariboo
November 19th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Your specs are good enough to run Ubuntu. If you intend on installing the netbook edition, I would suggest using 10.04.1, as 10.10 does not run very well on that system.

I frequently connect to my Toshiba 40" LCD with no problems.

As far as your Blackberyy is concerned, I'm not sure.

What I would suggest is you create a Live USB drive, and try everything you want to do before you install. Just download whichever image you want to install, then in windows use the latest version of unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). to create the thumb drive. Once you done this, just boot from the device, and select try Ubuntu from t he menu.