PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Postfix, roundcube and webmin configuration

lostinwoods
November 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Hi
I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 server on vmware and want to install roundcube mail server on that so that I can host my email server.

I have installed webmin and can access the server via port 10000

but don;t have any clue what to do next.
as far as I can understand I need to do following things in line:

1) Change my hostname to actual domain i want emails to come and send thrugh like mail.demomailserver.com
2) install postfix and configure that
3) change my MX recods from hosting server to point to my own IP
4) as my IP is via ADSL so i need to use some sort of DHCP or BIND?? service
5) Install roundcube software and create mailboxes

do i need LDAP as well?
please correct me if I have got this right!!

jsra
November 18th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hi,

maybe u should try to look in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185913&highlight=flurdy
The guide that flurdy has there is very comprehensive and it also includes Roundcube. Going through that could help you.

lisati
November 18th, 2010, 11:15 PM
It might be easier if you tend to one thing at a time. What I did on my server was to install Apache and Postfix first, and get them running. Then I installed webmin. It was some months before I installed things like squirrelmail and roundcube.

lostinwoods
November 18th, 2010, 11:42 PM
thank you jsra

i have already tried that but somehow lack the terminal command capabilities due to high exposure of MS GUI (:oops:)

what i have done is installed a fresh Ubuntu 10.10 server and run tasksel and installed mail server and lamp.

can u suggest what to do next like install what packages and in which order.

thank you in advance

Hi,

maybe u should try to look in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185913&highlight=flurdy
The guide that flurdy has there is very comprehensive and it also includes Roundcube. Going through that could help you.

lostinwoods
November 18th, 2010, 11:43 PM
thank u lisati

what i needed is a step by guide
i have installed mail server and pamp via tasksel command

tell me where to go from here and how to configure it.

thank u in advance

It might be easier if you tend to one thing at a time. What I did on my server was to install Apache and Postfix first, and get them running. Then I installed webmin. It was some months before I installed things like squirrelmail and roundcube.