PDA

View Full Version : Who has ditched cable/satellite TV?

David D.
November 18th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Has anyone cancelled with cable or satellite dish TV and replaced it with streaming content from the internet?

If so, what setup are you using to stream content to your TV?

theraje
November 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I'd go insane without satellite TV. I'd go even more insane streaming video over my dial-up connection. o_O

sydbat
November 18th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Someday, maybe. Right now there are no real streaming alternatives in Canada that are high enough quality (HD) or have enough content.

czr114
November 18th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I ditched the TV entirely, and my brain feels much better for having done so.

Primefalcon
November 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I ditched the TV entirely, and my brain feels much better for having done so.
We ditched the TV completely a few years back, just weren't watching tv at all so cancelled it

LowSky
November 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Has anyone cancelled with cable or satellite dish TV and replaced it with streaming content from the internet?

If so, what setup are you using to stream content to your TV?

I haven't canceled anything, but For streaming I use Hulu Desktop and Boxee. For new releases If I care I can get them from Amazon's On Demand. My PS3 allows me to rent releases too, and has access to Netflix streaming as an added plus as well.

MythTV .24 has some new features for web streaming too.

Don forget you can try to use a antenna to pick up local channels. Since the move to HD more people are going back to the original way we all watched our TV.

donkyhotay
November 18th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Never had it in the first place. I was too cheap to buy cable/satellite and when I finally could I realized I didn't need it.

samalex
November 18th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I've thought about it because with Hulu Plus and Netflix the only thing missing is live news and sports. But we recently signed another 2 year contact with Dish to get HD4Life which saves us $10/month, so we're tied there for the time being. Even if no contract I doubt we'd jump ship though.

RandomJoe
November 18th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I ditched cable long before online streaming became viable. Got tired of seeing the same old reruns over and over... The TV itself was gone even before then, I was using MythTV for several years.

Netflix is sufficient to keep me entertained. Of course, I have to use my Mac for online streaming, but I also get 3 DVDs at a time. Watch those on Linux so I don't have to sit through the "mandatory" previews and other junk.

I'm so used to Netflix that watching something with commercials in it is quite jarring. Can't stand it!

StarLab
November 19th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I haven't listened to or watched commercial radio or TV in about 6 years. I don't even own a stereo or TV anymore. Everything for me is now online via my computers. 5.1 on a great set of speakers works fine for me.

I lost my cable due to hard times. Things are good again but have no plans to get cable back. Doing fine without it. :)

And yes... commercials... ugh! Never again! lol

PC_load_letter
November 19th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Done it a week ago! No regrets. I'm using Roku player from www.roku.com to stream the contents to the tv. I currently subscribe to Netflix and maybe Hulu+ in the future.

theraje
November 19th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Roku boxes are great... much, much better than the much-ballyhooed D-Link Boxee Box. :\

MooPi
November 19th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I canceled cable for over the air free television more than a year ago. I get my TV fix from local stations and some Hulu to fill the gaps. No loss :)

wilee-nilee
November 19th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Listen to the message.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgOWTM5R2DA

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 19th, 2010, 01:53 AM
We ditched cable TV about a year ago.

We have a Netflix account. There are TV Networks that broadcast content on-line. The grandchildren can play on-line video games as well. Any computer in the house can get to the Internet or play DVDs. I have one computer connected to a big screen TV in the Living room for family viewing. It also has a small Lenovo remote with a keyboard similar to that of a smart phone, track ball, and left/right click keys (See attachment).

The grandchildren can play games, watch cartoons, and watch children shows any time of they day that they are allowed to use the computers. They are not tied to a TV program schedule either.

With the multiple computers I have, the grandchildren don't fight over what show they are going to watch. Even my old Frankenstein computers running Linux that would normally be recycled can be put to use for the grand-children's entertainment. Quit frankly, the grandchildren don't care what OS is on it except when they want to watch Netflix. Netflix only works with Windows; therefore, they can use only a couple of the computers for Netflix and they know which ones they are. They don't know why but they accept it.

Khakilang
November 19th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Never had 1. It's totally hopeless during thunderstorm and the censorship is ridiculous. Just watch normal TV and DVD.

uRock
November 19th, 2010, 06:25 AM
We get the basic 15 channel plan so that the kid can have PBS in the morning. Other than that, we use Netflix and DVDs. I can get news feeds and such on the PC.

anishman
November 19th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I ditched all my Bell services (Phone-Sat-Cell) last year and now have a Cable 3-in-1 ( Digital Cable Plus, Voip Phone, 15M net) for $121/mth and supplement with Netflix.

I plan to drop another (2) $5.00 cable pkgs this month, since Netflix is much preferred over the horrible the repetitive cable movie channels I'm subscribed to. ;)

weasel fierce
November 19th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Very very tempted as our cable bill is wicked high compared to what I get out of it.

Right now though, we don't have a setup where my wife can relax with an hour or so of TV so we're keeping it, but Im looking at alternatives

weasel fierce
November 19th, 2010, 07:18 AM
We ditched cable TV about a year ago.

We have a Netflix account. There are TV Networks that broadcast content on-line. The grandchildren can play on-line video games as well. Any computer in the house can get to the Internet or play DVDs. I have one computer connected to a big screen TV in the Living room for family viewing. It also has a small Lenovo remote with a keyboard similar to that of a smart phone, track ball, and left/right click keys (See attachment).

The grandchildren can play games, watch cartoons, and watch children shows any time of they day that they are allowed to use the computers. They are not tied to a TV program schedule either.

With the multiple computers I have, the grandchildren don't fight over what show they are going to watch. Even my old Frankenstein computers running Linux that would normally be recycled can be put to use for the grand-children's entertainment. Quit frankly, the grandchildren don't care what OS is on it except when they want to watch Netflix. Netflix only works with Windows; therefore, they can use only a couple of the computers for Netflix and they know which ones they are. They don't know why but they accept it.

Sounds like a pretty solid setup you have there.

Ric_NYC
November 19th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Free tv shows, movies etc:

Miro Internet TV
Boxee
Hulu
Youtube Movies http://www.youtube.com/movies

HangukMiguk
November 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I've been off of Cable for about 3 years. Never got it when I moved into my own place. Haven't complained too much.

The whole live major sporting events in a small box gets to me a little bit, but that's about all I miss. Modern TV shows don't appeal to me much anymore.

Otherwise, Netflix for Movies & TV Shows. ESPN3 on my 360 for SOME sports. Twonky to stream local files to my 360. Waiting for Hulu Plus to be worth getting/come to the 360.

Would LOVE to one day see someone put together a client to stream Justin.tv/Ustream to the 360 from Linux.

WeAreLinux
November 19th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I have about 5 years ago. Not because I wanted to, but because of hard times. I'm glad I did though & I will continue to ditch.

My Playstation3, Netflix, Hulu & Local Channels is enough entertainment for me.

Seriously though, I think we have too much content available. Do we really need Youtube on our TV's? Who have time to search & watch all that content? The above keeps me busy enough & for people who have more....how the hell you do it?,lol. There are only so much hours per day.

doorknob60
November 20th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Nah, I need sports. Also I really like Discovery channel, and if I didn't have it, I'd have to download a lot of stuff off Piratebay since their shows aren't on Hulu or anything :P But sports is probably the biggest reason.

t0p
November 20th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Ever since I started reading the Transmetropolitan comic book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmetropolitan) in 1997, I've been waiting eagerly for the day when TV and the internet are truly integrated. Unfortunately it hasn't happened for me yet. I watch a lot of TV shows on the internet, but this is time-shifting rather than simultaneous streaming and broadcasting. The UK Channel 4 TV serious has an excellent service called 4od (4 on demand), which you can view in a variety of ways, even on Youtube! I use 4od, the BBC iplayer and ITVplayer services to catch up on stuff that's already been transmitted. But if I want to see shows as they are first being broadcasted, I have to switch on the conventional television set.

But an integrated TV service on the internet will come. Maybe some time sooner than you might expect. I think the technology exists right now. Next, we have to get the big media industries players on board. They need to see internet TV as part of their operation rather than a competitor. How we do that, I don't have a clue...

dashnak
November 20th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I don't have cable and I don't stream, I download series and watch them in my own time.

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 23rd, 2010, 11:09 PM
Sounds like a pretty solid setup you have there.

It is functional.

There is actually more connected to the computer with the big screen TV in the Living room than I mentioned. I connected the grandchildren's Xbox to it. I have some decent speakers as well. They can make the house shake if the grandchildren get out of control with the volume. :)

drawkcab
November 24th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I bought an Acer Revo to serve as my HTPC and it's already paid for itself.

It's changed the way I watch television. I take a much more active approach to what I watch which means less time wasted watching junky shows with commercials and more time focusing on quality programming that is available when I want to watch it.

The only thing I miss is sports. I usually go to a bar to watch an important game that's not on ESPN3.

toupeiro
November 24th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I have a Roku player in the bedroom that I am waiting on Hulu Plus to see how practical it is and how much programming I really get. I am currently a Dish user and am happy with the service for the most part, but I really want the boomerang channel for all the old cartoons for the kids (and me), and I need to get 100 other channels I'll never watch to get that channel which bugs me.

I really only watch 3 shows which I DVR because I never have time to watch them when their air, and two of the three are on HBO, so unless I can subscribe to HBO on the roku someday, and if Roku has good kids programming, I will have to be a satellite user. I will never use cable again. The quality is crap.

PC_load_letter
November 24th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I have a Roku player in the bedroom that I am waiting on Hulu Plus to see how practical it is and how much programming I really get. I am currently a Dish user and am happy with the service for the most part, but I really want the boomerang channel for all the old cartoons for the kids (and me), and I need to get 100 other channels I'll never watch to get that channel which bugs me.

I really only watch 3 shows which I DVR because I never have time to watch them when their air, and two of the three are on HBO, so unless I can subscribe to HBO on the roku someday, and if Roku has good kids programming, I will have to be a satellite user. I will never use cable again. The quality is crap.

It happened a few days ago, Hulu plus works now on Roku. Just choose the Hulu Plus channel and you will be asked to install an update to make it work. I haven't tried it because I'm not interested enough + Netflix is more than enough for me now.

handy
November 24th, 2010, 09:08 AM
We don't like TV at all. But we do like a good movie. So 10 years or so ago I thought that perhaps satellite TV would be cheaper than hiring videos.

So I had it installed. After 2 weeks I had it removed. It cost me $75- for breaking the contract but who needed it.

What a pile of crap!

JDShu
November 24th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I just finished setting up a Coat Hangar Antenna :D

I also use Hulu a lot.

karlwbloedorn
November 24th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Apple TV + Netflix is awesome.

if( netflix_has ( show_i_want_to_watch )){
watch_show_for_free(); // $9 per month / infinity = 0
} else {
if(itunes_has (show_i_want_to_watch)){
watch_show_for_small_fee();
} else {
find_another_show();
}
}

Swagman
November 24th, 2010, 12:05 PM
We cancelled Sky last year as we simply didn't watch it anymore.
We bought movies on DVD and these days on BluRay using the PS3.

We still have terrestrial BBC & Freeview as there's no escape from the licence fee and I like to watch F1 anyway.

BBC, despite all the whinging you'll hear is actually good value for money.

The Missus likes her "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" and the soaps too.

WhatamImissing?
November 30th, 2010, 04:25 AM
David D:

I started with Mandrake in '02 but never could get mplayer working right. (In retrospect, I don't think I ever installed the frontend.) Installed Ubuntu 8.04 over Thanksgiving weekend of '08 and everything worked! Such a life changer that I removed Windows (it was a triple boot at that point) and then cut the cable in Feb '09. Since then though it has been a frustrating battle to keep everything working right. Upgrades come along, I install more software, websites change and video performance degrades for reasons that can be difficult for me to figure out.

I've reinstalled several times over the last year and a half and after all those hours of effort I've put into it, I've got technological illiterates all around me whose Windows machines simply play video better than my Ubuntu machine. ARRRRGGGHH!

That said, one thing I recommend is buy the Fluendo codecs package from the Canonical store. I bought the Fluendo Media Center too but I would never recommend that to anyone... it's slow, clunky and cumbersome to the point of being useless compared to the seperate programs that do the same things (FSpot, Banshee, VLC, etc.). But the Fluendo codecs from Canonical allowed me to hit a site that required Silverlight, which triggered the Moonlight installation process where Microsoft played nice and everything! I had battled with Moonlight about a year ago to no avail so I'm glad I got it going and it was easy. Moonlight doesn't help you with a lot of sites but it certainly allows you to see some video that you wouldn't otherwise.

Another great value mentioned above is Miro. Its video library isn't great yet (you can watch all the news you want) but it's a fantastic way to watch internet tv and the library is always expanding. I had some problems installing it out of the Synaptic Package Manager because it needed something from the "bad" codecs set which has to be removed because it contains a fluendo demuxer that conflicts with the fluendo codecs you purchase from Canonical. But if you go to the Miro site and install the program with its PPA from there it seems to work.

And if you like sports at all you must get Sopcast. It can be tricky to install as well but it's easier now that it used to be and if you go to their website you'll find instructions to install it with its PPA without too much difficulty. In addition to Sopcast itself you need to install an add-on or a widget or something in either Firefox or Opera that triggers Sopcast when a certain type of link is hit. I never got that working in FF but in Opera it's so quick and easy I forget what it even entails. You find those sports links primarily at myp2p.eu. (I installed Opera from its own site with its PPA as well.)

What I am personally in the market for (and I hope someone at the Canonical store is listening because I'll gladly pay for this if it works) is a program that simply brings in satellite tv off the web. You see a lot of those programs advertised for Windows and from my review of the reviews it appears that out of 100 or so of those programs, only one or two actually work, but they supposedly work quite well.

So with a Linux version of the program I just described, streaming Netflix ported to Linux, and Miro to round out the entertainment package I'd be sitting pretty with my Ubuntu machine. But without those things, and considering the fact that Miro, Banshee, VLC, ClamAV, TBird, Firefox and OOo are all available for Windows, I'm having a tough time not just reinstalling XP on my old grey Dell.

WhatamImissing?
December 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Okay, I'm an ignoramus. Since I wrote the above entry I "made a Boxee Box" and it's too cool. The sports I used to get through Sopcast can be had through the JustinTV app and everything I used to watch on Miro can be found on Boxee as well.

Maybe I should change my name to "WhatelseamImissing?"

Kdar
December 28th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I ditched it I guess 1 year ago. I still getting some channels for free, for some reason (I still use their internet).

Build myself HTPC, loaded with everything my family need, and we enjoy it without paying $150 per month.

themarker0
December 28th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Nah, too much stuff on TV still. Waiting for googel TV to get stuff.

beetleman64
December 30th, 2010, 01:03 AM
The terrestrial TV system is good enough for all but the most hardened football fans. Even so, I do stream BBC Alba in order to watch the one SPL match they broadcast every Saturday (in Gaelic, but what the heck). So to answer your question: yes, I don't use satellite or cable, and I occasionally stream content over the web!

Hollyecho_Montgomery
March 9th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Finally, no more cable or satellite.
I was using a PC to TV converter with a dedicated xp computer for Hulu Plus and netflix, NOW ---- :KS:KS:KS I have Ruko XDS - I LOVE it - Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, and about 100 other channels to choose from - I have about 25 listed on top list - AWESOME and 1/3 the cost of the google logitec review! #There are NO monthy charges-except for Hulu Plus, netflix and of-course my DSL bill#

I have 4 tvs in the house, and one out in the Office. What I have done
4 Port RCA plug switch box, (Husbands PC, Roku, and the WII) That feeds into the DVD Player RECORDER, that goes out to HDMI (for our LCD TV), and also via coax to all the other tvs in the house. The roku also has both HDMI and RCA outs (which this way can feed the sharper image to my LCD, and to all the other tv's). This way, if I see a movie, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or roku, I can just turn on the DVD recorder and record it on DVD. And it works perfectly. **Yes, I have a coax cable going out to my office, a wireless remote sender from 3 places in the house, and the one in my office, so I can change ports, stations on Roku, or netflix ect.*** This arrangement rocks, and no more 80 dollar cable/satellite bill.

I also don't have a home land line. I use netTalk, google voice, and my cell phone. If you tell everyone (including customers) you google voice number, put that google voice number on your friends and family list, (set google voice to display its number not the callers, forward that number to your cell phone, you will be talking free, no minutes charged) EVEN IF YOUR COMPUTER IS OFF, GOOGLE VOICE WILL FORWARD YOUR CALLS TO YOUR CELL PHONE. Cool heh??? If there is a way to save money, I am doing it !!! Now, If I could only afford my own wind electric generator .......:p
:popcorn:

Muffinabus
March 9th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I haven't had cable or satellite for about a year and a half now. We just watch all of our TV shows online, I usually download them via torrents though some I stream from their appropriate network's websites.