PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] change behavior of XF86AudioLowerVolume and XF86AudioRaiseVolume

fabianneke
November 18th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Dear Forum friends,

i recently installed a new ubuntu system (10.10) as media center.
I am running Gnome and xbmc on it. Until here, everything perfect!

I bought one of those cheapass media center keyboards with multimediakeys. Except for one, they all work out of the box.

My problem:
When i press the volume down key, gnome lowers the volume of my mediacenter. This might be good for most users, but i have a surround receiver/amplifier (Denon AVR3310) that should handle the sound.

In fact, i am looking for this:
When i press the volume up/down key, instead of changing the volume of my mediacenter, gnome should execute a script i wrote. This script sends commands to my receiver (using the serial port or the network connection) to lower/raise the volume.
I've been googling around for many hours but don't seem to find the solution for this

Small additional question:
I would like to get the one button that doesn't work yet to work. I have a 'mc' (mediacenter) button on my keyboard. I would like to make this launch xbmc.
When running 'xev', i don't see any output when i press the button. Any idea?

Thanks in advance for your help!

kostkon
November 18th, 2010, 11:01 PM
You could try setting the shortcuts for the volume up and volume down actions to disabled in System → Preferences → Keyboard Shortcuts and then making two new custom ones that will have your script(s) as action and XF86AudioLowerVolume and XF86AudioRaiseVolume as shortcuts respectively.

fabianneke
November 19th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Helo,

Thanks for your reply. I tried doing that:
I disabled it in keyboard shortcuts (this works fine) and then added a custom shortcut in apps -> metacity -> global_keybindings in gconf-editor but it didn't work: when i press the button, nothing happens at all.
To make sure my script didn't have any errors, i set up an other shortcut via gconf-editor (<Ctrl>U) that launches my script. After pressing Ctrl U, i was able to change the volume (execute the script). The problem seems to be that i am unable to use the specific shortcut XF86... in apps -> metacity -> keybindings. Any idea how i can configure them over there?

Thanks,

Fabian

fabianneke
November 28th, 2010, 02:13 PM
bump

fabianneke
December 5th, 2010, 07:25 PM
found it:
system - preferences - keyboard shortcuts
add a new custom shortcut with command and key you want