PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Any way to "intellihide" gnome panels?

shakma
November 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hello, forum. I have recently begun using Docky as my lower dock/taskbar and I love it. However, it doesn't have "dockies" for everything that the upper panel has (i.e. notification icons for wireless, new thunderbird & empathy messages, CPU scaling, etc). My favorite thing about Docky is the "intellihide" feature. For those that don't know, it's similar to auto-hide that most panels can do, except that it only "hides" when a window or full-screen app would be blocked by it. If it wouldn't be in the way, it remains visible.

My question is this: Is there anyway to apply "intellihide" behavior to the standard upper gnome panel? This would mean that it auto-hides if an application is maximized to fullscreen, or a window is dragged into territory occupied by the panel. If there is no overlap, then the panel automatically makes itself visible (un-hides).

I use a netbook, and I am trying to maximize desktop visibility however possible, but I like having notification icons.

Thanks in advance,
shakma

shakma
December 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Well, the Unity desktop bar in 11.04 is supposed to Intellihide. I have my reservations about the change to unity, but for now I'm putting my eggs in that basket and marking this thread as solved.

Peace.