PDA

View Full Version : What is a good way of letting others add features to your application?

TheHimself
November 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
One difficult way is to develop a script language for your application (like emacs lisp) but I'm too lazy for that!! One way I can think of is that the user uses a pipe to send arguments and commands to the application and receive its response.

I use C as a matter of fact.

dv3500ea
November 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Why develop your own scripting language when you can embed something like lua (http://www.lua.org/about.html)?

nvteighen
November 18th, 2010, 08:11 PM
One difficult way is to develop a script language for your application (like emacs lisp) but I'm too lazy for that!! One way I can think of is that the user uses a pipe to send arguments and commands to the application and receive its response.

I use C as a matter of fact.

Hm... I can't see how a pipe would allow to do such a thing. Pipes are just for I/O.

No, the alternative to a scripting language would be a plugin architecture. You can dynamically load a shared library using the ld linker API and do stuff from there... Think of Adobe Flash, for example. It has its inconveniencies, though.

TheHimself
November 20th, 2010, 01:27 PM
The user's program can run my application in a pipe and use the pipe to send command line options to my application and receive its output. Can't? Although this would be more like a script language.

Could you elaborate more on the following?

dynamically load a shared library using the ld linker API

Thanks.

StephenF
November 20th, 2010, 02:25 PM
The user's program can run my application in a pipe and use the pipe to send command line options to my application and receive its output. Can't? Although this would be more like a script language.

Could you elaborate more on the following?

There already exist "pipe based" systems for controlling and communicating with other programs. Others have gone in the past, the one people are using right now is called D-Bus (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus).

If you go the D-Bus route the two programs will be separate unlike a true plug-in architecture (where the plug-in code can run in the same process) and you will have to maintain two API's the internal one between application layers which currently exists (to whatever degree you decided to bother) and also manually expose interfaces to D-Bus as well.

There are libraries built upon D-Bus which can handle things like argument passing to functions. It is at this level that programmers generally use it.

Edit:
Going the dll route with run-time linking.
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/dlopen.html

Typically you would have a directory to put your plug-ins inside that would be scanned by the main program and would check the plug-in has certain symbols relating to name, purpose, version number, API versions supported. The plug-ins would be run on a schedule controlled by the main program and would have certain functions of a set name, at the very least a register and unregister function.

nvteighen
November 20th, 2010, 09:44 PM

I'm still not sure about what you want. A pipe is used as an I/O channel between different programs... That's it and you barely can add a feature to a program (isn't this what you want?) using a pipe: all you can do is pass data.

Dynamic loading of libraries (don't confuse with dynamic linking) consists in opening a library at runtime, compared to the usual case where you link to libraries at compile-time. For example, dynamic loading allows you to choose between alternative libraries depending on information available at runtime, such as user input or whatever. Check the manpage for dlopen(), there you'll see a basic and useful example.