PDA

View Full Version : The worst reason someone can't use Linux.

ironhoof
November 18th, 2010, 06:36 AM
*Laughs*
I think I found the funniest excuse ever why someone can't use Linux!

Out of 22 People I converted to Linux;
I had to switch one of the people I converted back to windows. The thing is... The reason WHY I had to!

This person uses the wrong mouse button! (right handed, and uses the right mouse button for EVERYTHING!)

The right click menu didn't say the exact same things in the same order as windows. That was enough to foil all the other cool features this person liked. It took everything I had not to bust up laughing! More importantly the person didn't know how to use the mouse! I figured I would show them proper mouse usage.

This person did say they had a computer for 5 years. When I left clicked for this person to show them. It... wasn't absorbed, instead I got a "How did you do that?"

So I just put XP back in... to prevent my brain from exploding.

-shakes head.

TiBaal89
November 18th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Sounds like you need to roll your own distro... I can see it now... Thecontextmenuisjustlikewindowsuntu. \\:D/

Shouldn't be too much work... ;)

RiceMonster
November 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Does someone even need a reason not to use Linux?

Big deal. Let them use what they want.

zer010
November 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM
How does a person use ONLY the right mouse button? :confused:
That person's 5 year experience with computers must have been severely limited. That's actually kind of sad. Even if I had switched them back to Win*, I couldn't stand to see someone stay so limited. I'd have to break the news, that they have been backwards all that time and in about 2 weeks can easily overcome that. It can't be much harder than getting used to "Close, Minimize, Maximize" being on the "wrong" side.

ironhoof
November 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I know it was hard to wrap my head around it! :D

I tried to tell them, but just because the context menu was different. Thats a new one for me!

cosine352
November 18th, 2010, 07:09 AM
does someone have to know about computers?

ironhoof
November 18th, 2010, 07:29 AM
-"does someone have to know about computers?"

No, not really. However If someone tells me they DO know computers,
and had one for 5 years. That is then different see?

I just shared the story because I thought the mouse usage was amusing.

I didn't give this person a hard time or anything.

I told them after they asked me to put it in; "If you don't like it after a week, then I will put Windows back in for you."

Which I did without any comment to the person. I did them right, and everyone was happy in the end.

-Thumbs up

Spice Weasel
November 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM
This person uses the wrong mouse button! (right handed, and uses the right mouse button for EVERYTHING!)

Doesn't that hurt? :-?

Verbeck
November 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
how does he select text :-s

Evil-Ernie
November 18th, 2010, 01:01 PM
My partner always has a brand new excuse not to even try Ubuntu when I bring the subject up, one day I shall compile them all into a book and sell it to make my fortune from her LOL!

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2010, 01:18 PM
How does a person use ONLY the right mouse button? :confused:

It's not really possible. Even after you bring up a right-click menu, you'd have to left click something to choose it.

The solution is just to change the mouse to be left handed. Then when they right click something, it will be like a left click, and they'll never know the difference. :)

alababi
November 18th, 2010, 02:07 PM
How about this:

Why need a free OS when you can pirate Windows and all the softwares out there?

PRADEEP.THOLETY
November 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM
i found a person that he can't find .exe files in licux which makes him to avoid linux. and he even cant try for new games

CharlesA
November 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
How about this:

Why need a free OS when you can pirate Windows and all the softwares out there?

We don't support pirating here, regardless, it's stupid to pirate a copy of Windows when you can just use another OS.

Drenriza
November 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Thats not the best reason.

The best reason i have had, was a customer i was making a pc for. He didnt need it for a whole lot. Internet, basic text, e-mail, msn.

So i asked him, if he wanted to try ubuntu. And the reason he didnt want to try it was because it was free, and he does not trust free stuff.

Who the hell cares, if somebody gives you 100$ will you not take it? Because you get them for free sure you will, so why not with your OS:confused:

alababi
November 18th, 2010, 02:28 PM
We don't support pirating here, regardless, it's stupid to pirate a copy of Windows when you can just use another OS.

I know and I'm using a legal Windows home premium. Hence what the OP was asking is "the worst reason".

Personally I still need to use Windows everyday to run Matlab, Pspice and PS5 and some favorite games like civilization 5, company of heroes ...So I will keep using Windows until I can run these programs natively on Linux.

Evil-Ernie
November 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM
So i asked him, if he wanted to try ubuntu. And the reason he didnt want to try it was because it was free, and he does not trust free stuff.

You should of said 'OK give me £100 and try it' :p

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Personally I still need to use Windows everyday to run Matlab, Pspice and PS5 and some favorite games like civilization 5, company of heroes

You have a Play Station 5? Is your name John Titor? :)

alababi
November 19th, 2010, 05:46 AM
You have a Play Station 5? Is your name John Titor? :)
lol
PS5 = photoshop 5

Drenriza
November 19th, 2010, 08:05 AM
You should of said 'OK give me £100 and try it' :p

The sad thing is, that is have tried to experiment a little with this.

Free Vs Payment. And if i set a small but "convincing" price. More people will try it O.o

wangsuda
November 19th, 2010, 08:18 AM
*Laughs*
I think I found the funniest excuse ever why someone can't use Linux!No, I have! I was going to install Ubuntu on my mother's computer, but she said that installation was impossible. When I asked her why, she said her computer tech stated that her computer wasn't wired for Linux products.

wdaniels
November 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
More than one sysadmin has told me that they won't use Linux servers because if they use MS products and something goes wrong, none of the business managers question the use of MS software, but if they were using Linux, that decision can be more easily called into question by the people who know nothing about the matter, yet to whom they are accountable.

I have to wonder how many IT professionals use Windows just to "cover their back" in the workplace? To me that is the worst reason and professionally inexcusable, yet astonishingly common it seems.

IT-disinterested users who just don't like change I can actually understand.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
November 19th, 2010, 08:27 AM
What better reason can a user have for using an operating system than that they prefer it's User Interface? His reason might sound lame to the rest of us but it's his choice. At least he gave Linux a shot.

Drenriza
November 19th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I have to wonder how many IT professionals use Windows just to "cover their back" in the workplace? To me that is the worst reason and professionally inexcusable, yet astonishingly common it seems.

Alot of admins do this. And in my world is it not professional. I do not care if i use MS or Linux, see it as a tool. And then you use the most fitting tool for the job at hand.

You wodent use a sledge hammer to open a nut, now would you?

wdaniels
November 19th, 2010, 08:48 AM
You wodent use a sledge hammer to open a nut, now would you?

If it was going to cost me $1000 to rent some nut-crackers which came with a license that wanted to tell me what I can and can't do with the nut, then probably I would try tapping gently with the sledge-hammer I got for free ;)

I don't mind end-users who want to use Windows because that's what they know and what everybody else uses, but I do mind IT professionals who continue to damage their own industry for the sake of an easy life.

wdaniels
November 19th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Oops, just noticed the thread is tagged for "funny" and here's me being all serious and angry at the world. Sorry, my bad :D

NightwishFan
November 19th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I agree the your post above though. I am here for the freedom to use and change my system. The fact it is cleaner and faster (in my opinion) is just a plus.

blueturtl
November 19th, 2010, 09:34 AM
*Laughs*
I think I found the funniest excuse ever why someone can't use Linux!

Out of 22 People I converted to Linux;
I had to switch one of the people I converted back to windows. The thing is... The reason WHY I had to!

The right click menu didn't say the exact same things in the same order as windows. That was enough to foil all the other cool features this person liked. It took everything I had not to bust up laughing! More importantly the person didn't know how to use the mouse! I figured I would show them proper mouse usage.

This person did say they had a computer for 5 years. When I left clicked for this person to show them. It... wasn't absorbed, instead I got a "How did you do that?"

So I just put XP back in... to prevent my brain from exploding.

-shakes head.

This guy is the reason Apple mice for so long only had one mouse button and secondary action required a keyboard trigger. You may find it amusing, but the scary thing is there are lot's more people like who you described.](*,)

alphacrucis2
November 19th, 2010, 10:45 AM
More than one sysadmin has told me that they won't use Linux servers because if they use MS products and something goes wrong, none of the business managers question the use of MS software, but if they were using Linux, that decision can be more easily called into question by the people who know nothing about the matter, yet to whom they are accountable.

IT-disinterested users who just don't like change I can actually understand.

In the "old days" they had a saying. "No one was ever fired for buying IBM".

Tristam Green
November 19th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Free Vs Payment. And if i set a small but "convincing" price. More people will try it O.o

This should not even be a selling point. If you profess it to be better than other OSs out there, show them why. Don't just throw "oh, but it's free" out there as a last-ditch to get them in the door.

NightwishFan
November 19th, 2010, 04:16 PM
This should not even be a selling point. If you profess it to be better than other OSs out there, show them why. Don't just throw "oh, but it's free" out there as a last-ditch to get them in the door.

I would probably do just that if I made money off Linux/Free Software services. ;)

Merk42
November 19th, 2010, 04:41 PM
The sad thing is, that is have tried to experiment a little with this.

Free Vs Payment. And if i set a small but "convincing" price. More people will try it O.oIt's the mentality of "you get what you paid for".

So many people mention Linux because it's free (as in beer), yet that's often hurting its adoption due to the aforementioned line of though.

Tristam Green
November 19th, 2010, 08:16 PM
It's the mentality of "you get what you paid for".

So many people mention Linux because it's free (as in beer), yet that's often hurting its adoption due to the aforementioned line of though.
++

and don't go FSF-acolyte on them either with promises of liberation from a Microsoft-led tyranny. 99.89% (conservatively low estimate) of users could give two craps less about whether or not they can change the code to their operating systems, as long as stuff works the way they expect it to work.

beew
November 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Well that depends who you talk to. Some people would be receptive because of lack of virus, some because of the software (yep, I have everything I need for scientific computing and programming, much better than windows, again that depends on who you talk to and what he/she use the computer for), some because it is free as beer, some because of speed (I know someone who is currently unemployed with a netbook stuck with vista and she is interested in Ubuntu for both the zero cost and the speed after trying out on my laptop which is even older),for some the FSF message would work. I have met all types.