PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy "official Ubuntu-computers"?

Sushi
April 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM
A thought came to me yesterday. Why is MacOS so easy to use? Things just work, and there's very little hassle in adding hardware. It's because Apple controls both the OS and the hardware it runs on. They don't really have to spend time making sure that their hardware runs on bazillion different pieces of hardware. Rather, they can focus on making sure that it works really really well on their own hardware.

Now, what if Canonical (or someone else maybe) did something vaguely similar, and started selling Ubuntu-branded computers? No, they would not tailor Ubuntu (the distro) to their machines and screw everyone else. But they could tailor the machines to work absolutely flawlessly on Ubuntu (and through that, on other distros as well). It would only contain hardware that works flawlessly with Linux. They could also sell some peripherals that would work flawlessly with Linux/Ubuntu. In short, we would get a platform (OS and hardware) that "just works" with absolutely zero hassle. Plug it in and go.

Systems like these might cost a bit more (about 10% or so) than "normal" computers. But that 10% would cover the extra-cost of picking and choosing hardware that "just works", and it could also be used to fund Ubuntu (the distro) and other open-source projects (GNOME, KDE etc.).

I'm not sure that is this a good idea or not. There would be lots of people who are perfectly capable of buying/assembling a machine that "just works" and would be faster/cheaper as well. But Joe Sixpack would not be able to do so. This way they could get a perfectly functioning system with ZERO hassle.

teasum
April 19th, 2006, 08:07 AM
This is a possibility. However, what I think is more possible is that, as Ubuntu catches on, PC manufacturers might sell PCs as Ubuntu-certified, which would simply involve some additional time verifying and testing an Ubuntu configuration on their systems. This could even be done on the Ubuntu side, with certain setups or systems verified or pre-tested, although I no warranties or guarantees could be made because support is community-based.

Apple's model is a success for them because they completely engineer their systems, which I don't see a need for with Ubuntu. Dell already offers pre-configured linux desktops, and I can easily imagine Ubuntu fitting into this model, however. Dare we imagine a "Made for Dapper" sticker on our brand new computer?

All the major players have their business models and game plans--Apple focuses on fully integrated SW/OS/hardware, Dell on customizable systems via the web, M$ on, well, world-dominance through mind-control (or something like that). I don't necessarily think Ubuntu needs to follow or imitate any of those models. I'm not saying you don't have a good idea there, I just think Ubuntu might be headed in a different direction.

That's just me... any other opinions?

Sushi
April 19th, 2006, 08:15 AM
This is a possibility. However, what I think is more possible is that, as Ubuntu catches on, PC manufacturers might sell PCs as Ubuntu-certified, which would simply involve some additional time verifying and testing an Ubuntu configuration on their systems.

true. But the money you use to buy that machine would go to the PC-manufacturer, instead of Ubuntu/Canonical.

Apple's model is a success for them because they completely engineer their systems, which I don't see a need for with Ubuntu.

Well, they don't completely engineer their machines. They use off-the-shelf CPU's and chipsets, and MoBo's are co-developed with Intel. Of course they do design the cases and the like, and I don't see Canonical doing something like that. Besides there are good cases out there if you know where to look ;).

So Canonical (or whoever it is who sells the systems) could use off-the-shelf components, they could just pick and choose those that work best with Linux. Those Linspire-machines that they sell at Wal-Mart? They contain WinModems that do not work with Linux.... And those are bottom-of-the-barrel machines with crappy specs. We COULD have good looking and just plain GOOD systems, with Linux running by default.

mips
April 19th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I prefer to build my own. That way I know what components are going into the case and they are usually better than the pre-built pcs you buy. Might cost me a bit more but I know what I'm getting and thatit will be reliable.

Buffalo Soldier
April 19th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I think most are comfortable with installing Ubuntu (or any OS) on their own. But there will always be a percentage of computer users that are not that comfortable, yet are curious and willing to try Ubuntu if someone can preconfigure things for them. I think this is the segment of buyers that "made-for-Ubuntu" manufacturer can target.

One of the plus side of having a setup like this is the large amount of harddisk space available. Just preload it with videos and interactive animations guides on Ubuntu from the most basic stuff (intro to FOSS, GNU and etc.) to the most complicated things (compiling own kernel and etc).

OffHand
April 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I prefer to build my own. That way I know what components are going into the case and they are usually better than the pre-built pcs you buy. Might cost me a bit more but I know what I'm getting and thatit will be reliable.
I second this. Freedom doesn't stop with software...
Although some less techie people possibly would like to buy a system like this.

jc87
April 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
A) If ALL the hardware on it worked without problems on Ubuntu.

B) If the hardware satisfied my personnal tastes , and having only one or two diferent configurations to choose from.

C) If the price was fair in relation to the hardware provided.

Sushi
April 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I second this. Freedom doesn't stop with software

Since no-one would be forcing you to buy some specific computer, I fail to see what "freedom" (or lack of it) has to do with this.

Is hardware that you pick somehow more "free" than hardware that is sold to you in a complete system?

Stormy Eyes
April 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Is hardware that you pick somehow more "free" than hardware that is sold to you in a complete system?

Free as in beer or speech? No. However, I prefer to build my own machines because I want things done my way, not some computer manufacturer's way. DIY is something I do whenever I can, for personal reasons.

NeghVar
April 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Its an interesting idea, I'm not sure how doable it is. I hate to play devils advocate but it is kind of fun to help people realise problemsand work out solutions.

It really would need some kind of real backing to work. You couldn't just open a shop in your home town to do it. Your impact would be so minimal it wouldn't matter and you would be out of business within a year, banks no this and they won't back you. No what you need is official Ubuntu and Canonical support. Its not just a matter of saying hey this is a great idea, but more about how do we make it work.

You would need advertising and lots of it. Everyone just knows about Windows so you would have to reverse that. You are also going to need to pull off alot of business online, and I mean alot, or have alot of stores. Its a matter of stability, you will need serious backers to do anything serious, and a bank will not touch it unless they can see stability and profits for them.

Heres the best way I see it happening, and about the only way you could really get started. Ebay is your friend, its cheap, you can do it yourself in your spare time. Also some kind of arangment with Canonical would be helpful. With this kind of setup you could probably get yourself started for only a few thousand and can also test the idea without investing a large amount. Just build a few PCs and try and sell them, just sit back and see what happens. If no one bites go back to the drawing board and look at any potential problems. If it works then hey your set and build a few more and try it again. I'd advise against any serious investment until you knew that the idea was stable.

Sushi
April 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
It really would need some kind of real backing to work. You couldn't just open a shop in your home town to do it. Your impact would be so minimal it wouldn't matter and you would be out of business within a year, banks no this and they won't back you....

...Heres the best way I see it happening, and about the only way you could really get started. Ebay is your friend, its cheap, you can do it yourself in your spare time. Also some kind of arangment with Canonical would be helpful. With this kind of setup you could probably get yourself started for only a few thousand and can also test the idea without investing a large amount.

Ummmm, I'm sorry if I have been giving the wrong idea here. I'm not planning to do anything of the sort. Of course the company selling the machines would be either Canonical or some other "real" company, instead of two guys in their garage.

Sushi
April 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Free as in beer or speech?

Since we are talking about "freedom"....

No. However, I prefer to build my own machines because I want things done my way, not some computer manufacturer's way.

But if the specs of the machine received your "official seal of approval"? If the machine is good, and the price is right, would you be interested?

Stormy Eyes
April 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
But if the specs of the machine received your "official seal of approval"? If the machine is good, and the price is right, would you be interested?

No. It isn't always practical for me to do things myself, but when I can do something myself, I prefer to do it myself. Why do you think I use Linux to begin with, instead of buying a Mac?

Sushi
April 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM
No. It isn't always practical for me to do things myself, but when I can do something myself, I prefer to do it myself. Why do you think I use Linux to begin with, instead of buying a Mac?

There are quite a few people running Linux on Dell's, Macs, IBM's and so forth ;).

Stormy Eyes
April 19th, 2006, 03:04 PM
There are quite a few people running Linux on Dell's, Macs, IBM's and so forth ;).

Good for them. I still prefer to build my own, and always will.

prizrak
April 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I said I would, but all computers are not created equal so it would highly depend on specs/price.

OffHand
April 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Since no-one would be forcing you to buy some specific computer, I fail to see what "freedom" (or lack of it) has to do with this.

Is hardware that you pick somehow more "free" than hardware that is sold to you in a complete system?My personal freedom ;) In other words:
I like to build my own machines too.

BoyOfDestiny
April 19th, 2006, 03:41 PM

I feel the same way about my desktop.
I'd consider buying a barebones pc (tower + power supply + mobo + cpu + ram) or a laptop with Ubuntu (I've never done a DIY laptop, although that could be neat...)
However, in the case of the laptop I'd probably reinstall anyway to put /home on it's own partition... :)

Anyway, in the case of OSX they [Apple] limit it to that hardware with DRM. I rather just have a generic machine x86/amd64 and put whatever OS I choose (Ubuntu for me)

Spacecaptain
April 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I would buy it as long as the hardware supplied is not on the conservative side but more on the best available preformance for a reasonable price-range.

starting from such a good base, i would start improving the system with time, as i have always done untill now

John.Michael.Kane
April 19th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Why not ubuntu/linux certified hardware, and not prebuilt computers. For those who want to build their own. same could hold true for whitebox laptops the enduser would have the choice of hardware designed for linux.

just my thoughts.

BWF89
April 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Yes, I'd buy one if the Ubuntu PC had better specs than the other computers that don't come with an operating system or FreeDOS.

aysiu
April 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Two related threads:
How do Linux preloaded computers figure into your life? (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=152433)
Possible solution to bug #1...? (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=99090)

Sushi
April 19th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Well good for you ;).

Sushi
April 19th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Anyway, in the case of OSX they [Apple] limit it to that hardware with DRM. I rather just have a generic machine x86/amd64 and put whatever OS I choose (Ubuntu for me)

That would not apply in this case. If you read the original post you would see that I mention that

a) you could install other OS'es on that machine if you want to
b) you could still run Ubuntu on other machines as well

zachtib
April 19th, 2006, 05:25 PM
i would buy an ubuntu laptop, but ill always build desktops myself