PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changed userid, now desktop won't show.

McFatty
November 18th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Hi,

Experience with Ubuntu: I know basic commands in the terminal. (ls, pwd, cd, sudo halt, mkdir, and a few others)

Premise:
My terminal opened with this line:

Bilbo@host:/$

I wanted it to open with THIS line:

Frodo@host:/$

So I went to the System menu, administration, user options. I'm not exactly sure of every button I pushed but the general gist of what I did was change the username in the home folder from Bilbo to Frodo.

A prompt came up and asked if I wanted to delete the old folder (the Bilbo folder). It also said that if I was duplicating it but giving it a new name (Frodo), it was ok to delete the old one (Bilbo) because I would still have all the files. I checked the box that said "Delete old folder." Then I clicked the button that said copy folder under new name (Frodo).

Problem:
The system boots. I can log in. The desktop is empty. Nothing there. I can open a terminal with ctrl+alt+T.

Upon login, 3 windows pop up.

The First:
Could not update ICEauthority file /home/Bilbo/.ICEauthority

The Second:
Problem with configuration server. (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)

The Third:
Nautilus could not create the following required folders /home/Bilbo/Desktop, /home/Bilbo/.nautilus. Before running Nautilus create these folders, or set permissions such that Nautilus can create them.

Now, I went to the library to try to fix this and found this page

http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8061988

so I tried to run the commands there. The only one that worked was

sudo chmod 644 /home/Frodo/.ICEauthority

How can I fix this?

Peace and Love,
-McFatty

asmoore82
November 18th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Check the output of
cat /etc/passwd

A line similar to this one of mine is what you're looking for...

asmoore:x:1000:1000:Adam Moore,,,:/home/asmoore:/bin/bash

McFatty
November 18th, 2010, 04:35 AM
This has been resolved.

FYI the solution:

sudo mv /home/Frodo /home/Bilbo

I am now ever so slightly less of a noob.

Peace and Love
-McFatty