PDA

View Full Version : Android tablet... what do you think?

t0p
November 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Have a look at this (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=478414). What do think? Any good?

I'm not sure. It comes with Android 1.6, and apparently it's unlikely it'll be upgradeable to any later version. Unless I'm missing something? And the 7" display is a bit of a turn off. But the price, £99.99, is pretty sweet.

Maplin are also selling this 10" Viewpad for the heftier price of £499.99. It's a dual-boot: Windows 7 and Android; but again it's Android 1.6.

I'm considering getting the £99.99 7" tablet, then at a later date I can get a better one. But I'm rather fiscally challenged right now. So maybe I should just do without for now (I have a desktop computer and a netbook so I don't need a tablet)... but it does look nice.

What's everyone else think?

madhi19
November 18th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Am considering the Archos 101 myself. Mainly just to tweet during Hockey game!

czr114
November 18th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Pros: Price, size

Cons: Specs, Android, still a tablet

Having used both tablets and netbooks, I'm inclined to lean towards the netbook. They're both in a similar ballpark on hardware and size, but there truly is no substitute for a keyboard when productivity or usability is concerned. The whole tablet concept seems to be an oversized cell phone, which lacks the excellent ability to make full use of keyboard efficiency.

KiwiNZ
November 18th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Depends on the use you are going to put it to. Android 1.6 is not the best but at the price it could be considered a throw away item. But if you are able upgrade it to 2.3 then its a good buy considering the price.

steev182
November 18th, 2010, 09:08 AM
The problem with android tablets is the current form of android is still really meant for phones.

When apple had their iPad team work on iOS and port it to the iPad, they addressed the keyboard issues, the increase in screen real estate and using my iPad, I feel they really did a good job.

Gingrbread is being worked on and apparently will be specifically meant for tablets. I'd suggest waiting for that, or for the more compelling WebOS powered tablet that hp/palm may announce at CES. WebOS seems much more powerful and handles multitasking and notification better than any other mobile OS around.

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't do it. Android 1.6 and the resistive touch screen would keep me from buying it. Personally, I wouldn't buy any tablet that doesn't have a capacitive multi-touch screen.

Am considering the Archos 101 myself. Mainly just to tweet during Hockey game!
+1 Great price and specs.

Johnsie
November 18th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I went past maplins the other day and saw that advertisment. when I realised it was only Android 1.6 I was disappointed. My phone currently has 2.2 on it.

I'm holding out for a higher spec one which will hoepfully come along soon. The price is good though.

You can also get some 7 inch Androids on Ebay. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=android+2.2+tablet&_sacat=0&_odkw=android+2.2+table&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

My friend has the HTC Desire HD and that is one amaing piece of kit. I think it'll be Android that finally makes Linux mainstream on computers.