PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling, but want to save old data

HaveLotsToLearn
November 17th, 2010, 09:50 PM
So, I screwed up my installation of 10.04 by deleting some of the system files which makes it so that I can no longer do system upgrades, etc. Let's not focus on that because I'm tired of spending time trying to fix; I've decided that I'm just going to do a complete install of 10.10.

My question is can I go into Root, save my user file "[MyName]" to my external hard drive, install 10.10, then replace the user file in Root with my old user file? Will that give me all my documents, emails, items on my desktop, etc.? What pitfalls/problems should I watch out for?

Thanks in advance for your help,
JH

trundlenut
November 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I would bung a livecd into the machine and use that to copy the data across to the external drive. The reinstall ubunutu and then you can copy the relevant bits back to your new install.

HaveLotsToLearn
November 18th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Here's what I did and got most of my stuff:
1) Staying logged in as normal user (not root), I copied my home folder to my external hard drive; this gave me my docs and desktop items.
2) Went into firefox, clicked Bookmarks... Organize Bookmarks, then went through the backup steps to save bookmarks.
3) Went into Evolution, clicked File... Backup Settings; this gave me my emails, calendar items, contacts and my email settings.

Installed 10.10. Then did reverse of above.
The one category of data I lost was my Pidgin IM logs.