PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

mrw
November 17th, 2010, 07:39 PM
After the upgrade I had 3 issues:
1. My NVIDIA driver was gone and had to be reinstalled.
2. Firefox crashes - I am now using Chrome until I can correct the problem.
3. Can't play DVD's with Movie Player - plugins are installed but nothing plays.
4. VLC is a weird problem - when VLS is installed clicking the drive icons in 'Places' on the panel brings up VLC instead of the folder. Without VLC installed the folder icons work correctly. I don't have a clue how to fix this. I think it some sort of command option association with VLC that I can't eliminate.

Any suggestions on any of this would be appreciated.

MRW

TBABill
November 17th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Could have installed but had a corrupted disk (possible corrupted download or a bad burn), but good enough to get installed although with errors. That seems like too many unassociated issues to not be upgrade related. Save everything and try a fresh install from a new CD? Did you check the md5sum before burning, then burn at the absolute lowest speed possible?

mrw
November 17th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Here's a summary.

After some work through the terminal I was able to reinstall the NVIDIA drivers so the dual monitors works fine.

I uninstalled the FireFox plugins and now Firefox is working again.

I managed to DVD going with SMPlayer after resetting the configuration file to OSS for audio.

The BIG remaining problem is really strange.
I mentioned in my first post that clicking on the various filesystems (drives) in the panel brought up VLC instead of the folders. Once I unistalled VLC everything was OK. But now that I have SMPlayer working the same thing is happening with that application. It's really a crazy problem. When I click on the download folder for example SMPlayer starts to run and play one of the files in the folder. There has to be an explanation for this that someone knows.

MRW

Odense
November 24th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I also updated my the Ubuntu on my Lenovo S10 netbook from 10.04 to 10.10 and Firefox crashes when I try to open it. I tried uninstalling it and installing it again (with the add / remove software function) so I thought I would have a "plug-in free" Firefox - but it still crashes.

At the moment I am using Chromium - but I want Firefox back - so what do I do ?