PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE go boom, and there be no light.

minigilani
November 17th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Hey, i'm running Kubuntu 10.10 and i have a problem with the shutdown option. Basically, whenever i try to shutdown or logout, KDE just closes and i face the shell, blank, sometimes with text about checking battery state (which is weird, i have a desktop) or with starting virtual box and apache. Anyways, so i was reading up and some posts in the forums suggested killing the "atieventsd" process, but i used "top" to check if i had that process running, and no, i don't.
What i do everytime i need to switch users is to log out, let KDE crash, then press Alt+F1, log in through the other user, and then manually type in "startx". and to shut down, i let it crash, and type in "sudo halt".
on a side note, i'm a newb, please don't brain burn me with knowledge, i'm learning at my own pace..
I don't have an external graphics card, i'm running on an Intel D915GVWB desktop board.

EDIT: I've run 10.04 LTS on this very system before 10.10, worked pretty well, except i don't think it picked up my graphics will, i get a higher resolution on this version, dunno if it means something. Just thought i'd add it.