PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Hulu Plus?

samalex
November 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM
They added Hulu Plus to our BluRay player last month, but given there was no free trial and I didn't want to shell out $10/month I haven't signed-up. Now I'm reading (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101117-707544.html) they've cut the price to $8/month and now offer a free 1 week trial.

This evening I might give this a try because even though it's $2 difference seems $8 is much more reasonable even though Free would be the best :)

Anyone else using Hulu Plus? Also anyone know if a Hulu Plus subscriber can play content from their Android phone via the browser?

Sam

PC_load_letter
November 17th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I'm waiting for it to be supported on my Roku. It's happening this Fall according to Roku.
There was a review on one of the online tech magazines re Hulu+ and there are a few caveats:
- Even that you pay for this service, it's not commercial free.
- The contents of Hulu+ != free Hulu, but maybe will be in the future.
- According to the review, the service was not that great w/ stream interruptions every now and then.

So, I'm staying on the fence right now, enjoying Hulu on my laptop (which I can stream to the tv if I want to), and Netflix on my tv. Netflix is providing a great service with no real competition so far.

HangukMiguk
November 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM
- The contents of Hulu+ != free Hulu, but maybe will be in the future.

Not equal as in less than Free Hulu? How is that even possible?

I thought they were going to allow for everything in their database to be viewed via Hulu Plus.

And meh @ commercials. Make money one way or the other, don't force us to have to pay via both. One of the reasons I hate cable with a passion.

This has gone from a "I'll most likely get" to a "meh..." when it releases on Xbox Live. Hopefully things change before it gets added there.

czr114
November 17th, 2010, 07:01 PM
The commercials can be filtered through ABP or something similar running on a transparent SQUID. There should be no reason for stream pollution if you're paying.

PC_load_letter
November 17th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Not equal as in less than Free Hulu? How is that even possible?

It beats me too, but it is what it is, the Hulu+ contents, as of now, are less than (CORRECTION: not equal to) the free Hulu.

Here is an excerpt form the article:

Caveat #2: This one is big and gets glossed over sometimes. Hulu Plus does not offer the same content as hulu.com. Yes, there's a lot of overlap, but hulu.com has content that Hulu Plus doesn't, and vice versa. So if you've been watching a show on hulu.com and can't wait to watch it on the big screen via your PS3, stop a moment and check the Hulu Plus listings. Don't get me wrong, there's a ton of content available on Hulu Plus – but you'll want to make sure it's the content you're interested in before you sign up. Hopefully now that Hulu Plus will have a wider audience, Hulu will be able to add more current shows to the Plus lineup.

Link to the full article:
http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/126636/hulu-plus-now-available-all-what-you-need-know-signing

LowSky
November 17th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I tried the Beta of Hulu Plus on my PS3 a while back and hated it.
$10 a month and the content wasn't much better in my opinion.
Now at $8 I'm still not convinced.

Plus my PC runs mythtv and I can watch most new shows from hulu desktop or boxee that i cant record. If that gets boring I can use Netflix on my PS3 or rent a movie from the Playstation Store or my Cable company or Amazon. Honestly there is so many options. I just wish prices would go down.

czr114
November 17th, 2010, 09:23 PM
$8 standard is already so low that further cuts aren't likely. At that price point, the heavy resistance won't be from actual price, but a binary pay/free question, as well as issues of privacy, hassle, and acceptability of recurring billing. Even a $0.10 quantum on al-a-carte pricing still runs into that second category of issues.

Further development is likely to be more features or less ads, not a lower price.

samalex
November 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Well honestly $10/month is still cheaper than buying lots of box sets or paying for the shows a la carte elsewhere. Also for us we often get into the rut of getting PPV during nights when there's not much on, but it'd be nice to pick-up an old TV series for those times instead, which at $6 or more per movie (even $1.50 at Red Box) the $8 for all you can eat via Hulu Plus looks good to me.

I'll try the trial first and see how it works, and even if we watch 5 hours of content on it each month it'll probably be worth it given the streams are smooth and quality is decent.

drawkcab
November 18th, 2010, 06:33 AM
If they'd move off flash player I'd consider it. Sure beats paying for a cable bill or having to run windows to get netflix.