PDA

View Full Version : laptops and third world

shadowlands
November 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Anyone recall the laptop that if you bought one they gave oneaway to a child in a third world country?

t0p
November 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I think you are talking about the "One Laptop Per Child" (OLPC) initiative, which is, as far as I know, still up and running. You can find out all about it at http://laptop.org/en.

Incidentally, I believe it was the OLPC initiative, and similar programmes, that led to the development of netbooks.

corrytonapple
November 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Last I knew, they were like $200, and you are doing it for a good cause. Back about one or two years ago they had a "60 Minutes" show on it. I wonder if they run Linux? :)

Johnsie
November 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I give netbooks to people in Honduras. Those OLPC machines are ok, but they aren't serious computers. Netbooks are a little more useful. Usually I have Windows and a Wubi install on them so they can optionally use a wide number of apps.

It's also important to help the third world with infrastucture (clean water etc.), but educating them to build better lives for themselves is helpful too.

del_diablo
November 17th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I like OLPC, they are more or less a image of what computers should be:
*Does not use much power
*Cranking function to restore power
*Properly designed hardware
*Robust
*Ships with a decently bootstrapped OS, which is optimized
I more or less want one, mainly because they look quite good and functional.
Are they not in with a sponsor deal with a ARM company, on their mission to make the glorious tablet?

MasterNetra
November 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Idk the monitor is attached by a small piece to the rest of the computer and on top of that it being able to pivot is just asking for breakage to me..I mean these are kids we are talking about here.

sydbat
November 17th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Last I knew, they were like $200, and you are doing it for a good cause. Back about one or two years ago they had a "60 Minutes" show on it. I wonder if they run Linux? :)Yes. It is Linux. http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Supported_systems

shadowlands
November 24th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks, it is for a my son he does not need a really machine he is too young for that but he needs to be exposed to more tech.

pricetech
November 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks, it is for a my son he does not need a really machine he is too young for that but he needs to be exposed to more tech.

Cool. Another possibility is a older computer set up as a "kidbox". I gave some old 486s with DOS and Windows 3.1 to 3 sets of Grandchildren several years ago. My 13 year old Granddaughter is pretty sharp as a result of absorbing knowledge while watching her brothers play (she was 3 at the time) and subsequently taking what she'd absorbed and running with it.