PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to upgrade in parts

Ankit Kala
November 17th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I have a alow internet connection and i want to upgrade from ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04.
is there any method by which i can download updates in parts and later upgarde by system..
plz reply asap

cybergnome
November 18th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Try interrupting the download and then resuming the update. I think you will find that it will continue downloading only the packages that are missing.

oldsoundguy
November 18th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Install a download manager. Many available for Linux and Windows. When the download gets stopped it will pick up at where it left off when you resume.

Sam Fallow
November 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM
All of the above suggestions are good but consider downloading the LiveCD in stages instead of updating your system in stages.

Which then begs the next question: Is it possible to check to CD has downloaded and burned successfully before installing from it?

mobilediesel
November 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM
As Sam Fallow suggests, downloading the liveCD would probably be safer than interrupting an update many times. And to answer his question you can verify the md5 checksum of the downloaded disc image and then compare that to the md5 checksum of the burned cd.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

mcduck
November 18th, 2010, 09:40 AM
If you download the CD using bittorrent, it will get automatically checked (that's part of the bittorrent protocol). This way you'll also have easier time downloading the image in smaller parts without any transfer errors.

If you wish to check the burned CD, there's an option for that in the disc's boot menu.