PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] VPN connection failed

oldmankit
November 17th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to get VPN working so that I can browse "from the UK". I got myself a free one hour trial but it's no good, because I can't get it to work!

I added the network using the network manager. I put 'uk.hideipvpn.com' in "gateway". I left "NT domain" blank as I didn't know what it meant.

It says "The VPN connection 'VPN connection 1' failed. I found the following at /var/log/messages:

Nov 17 10:46:13 bob-laptop pppd[18248]: Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5//nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
Nov 17 10:46:13 bob-laptop pppd[18248]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Nov 17 10:46:13 bob-laptop pppd[18248]: Using interface ppp0
Nov 17 10:46:13 bob-laptop pppd[18248]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/7
Nov 17 10:46:16 bob-laptop pppd[18248]: Connection terminated.
Nov 17 10:46:16 bob-laptop pppd[18248]: Exit.It doesn't really help me find out why it failed.

zursch
November 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Same issue here.

technoboi
December 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Same issue with me also. Just the same from 'messages'.

I checked out Launchpad and, although there are similar bugs reported, dating back to 2008, I can't see one exactly like this - though I could have missed it.
Hence I have reported it as a bug.
When I get a bug number I'll report back here and perhaps you guys could add your comments to it on Launchpad?

oldmankit
December 7th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Same issue with me also. Just the same from 'messages'.

I checked out Launchpad and, although there are similar bugs reported, dating back to 2008, I can't see one exactly like this - though I could have missed it.
Hence I have reported it as a bug.
When I get a bug number I'll report back here and perhaps you guys could add your comments to it on Launchpad?

I don't know much about bug reporting but I'll do what I can to help. Does this count as a bug? It could be a problem with the VPN provider rather than Ubuntu. I thought it was just a bit naff that the messages didn't give me any help at all in fixing the problem.

technoboi
December 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I don't know much about bug reporting but I'll do what I can to help. Does this count as a bug? It could be a problem with the VPN provider rather than Ubuntu. I thought it was just a bit naff that the messages didn't give me any help at all in fixing the problem.

I don't believe this is a VPN provider problem. In my case I am the provider, in that I have a VPN server working which I am able to connect to with my mobile phone, but I can't connect to it with my computer.
I did try to file a bug, via email, but you'd be surprised how difficult it is sending the email in exactly the way they want it. I kept getting 'bounces' and then I thought I'd got it right when the last one didn't bounce. However, I've had no reply as yet and I would have expected an auto-reply. I have had to create a PGP key and all sorts to just send a bug. Why I can't imagine. If they really want to get feedback from people in regard to bugs they must make it easier than that.
I'll try again and see what happens.

btw I see you are in Chiang Mai, When I've been to Thailand I have always been to BKK, but I've thought of visiting Chiang Mai next time. I'm told it is a nice place to visit. The main downside of BKK is all the air pollution - and the fact that traffic has no respect whatsoever for pedestrian crossings - though I guess the latter will apply elsewhere in Thailand.

oldmankit
December 8th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I don't believe this is a VPN provider problem. In my case I am the provider, in that I have a VPN server working which I am able to connect to with my mobile phone, but I can't connect to it with my computer.
I did try to file a bug, via email, but you'd be surprised how difficult it is sending the email in exactly the way they want it. I kept getting 'bounces' and then I thought I'd got it right when the last one didn't bounce. However, I've had no reply as yet and I would have expected an auto-reply. I have had to create a PGP key and all sorts to just send a bug. Why I can't imagine. If they really want to get feedback from people in regard to bugs they must make it easier than that.
I'll try again and see what happens.

btw I see you are in Chiang Mai, When I've been to Thailand I have always been to BKK, but I've thought of visiting Chiang Mai next time. I'm told it is a nice place to visit. The main downside of BKK is all the air pollution - and the fact that traffic has no respect whatsoever for pedestrian crossings - though I guess the latter will apply elsewhere in Thailand.

Let me know when the bug successfully goes through then; sounds complicated.

I've moved from BKK because I was looking for a quieter life. Chiang Mai is lovely to visit or to live in. Highly recommended!

Traffic in Asia is traffic in Asia!

erganondorf
September 27th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Same happened to me. It seems to be a bug in Ubuntu VPN connection routine. There is a way around this. Just delete the default gateway **before** connecting like this:.
root@myjunk:~# route del default gw 0.0.0.0 eth0
Then connect. It will work provided everything else were correct.

fishbutt2
June 6th, 2012, 12:55 AM
removing your default gateway just broke the connection!!

type in your default gateway instead of 0.0.0.0 switching del to add to fix this
route add default gw 0.0.0.0 eth0

coffeecat
June 6th, 2012, 09:38 AM
@fishbutt2, the poster you are responding to hasn't logged in since posting more than 8 months ago.

Old thread - closed.

If anyone needs support on this topic, please start a new thread.