PDA

View Full Version : Questions about upcoming Linux tech.

Lolpanda
November 17th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Hey guys, been watching the news feeds and mailing lists for a couple different projects, and i was wondering if the community could clarify some questions. Three concerning BTRFS and one concerning wayland.

1) I haven't seen very much talk of it lately, and google has only turned up months old mailing list posts. Has anyone heard of them pushing btrfs to grub/grub2? I found a gentoo patch for btrfs in grub2, but nothing about it being apart of the mainline code

2) Is fragmentation still an issue on btrfs? A lot of posts concerning btrfs mention fragmentation and the need to 'balance' the filesystem every once and awhile. While thats understandable, coming from NTFS-Windows, not having to defrag EXT3/4 since converting has been a HUGE selling point.

3) Hows btrfs looking for 11.04? Phoronix mentioned that the UDS summit for 11.04 would talk about btrfs as the default 'but would be a stretch' (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODY2MQ)

4) Wayland, I'm very glad to hear about Ubuntu adopting the project and also glad to see that, while Xorg was a very nice project that served the *nix systems well over the years, it was aging and would probably have to be replaced / rewritten soon anyway. Will KDE, Gnome, etc, look any different with the new display server?? Or will it be pretty much seemless?

Again, thanks in advance :)

Lolpanda
November 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM
bump for the hope of an answer

madjr
November 22nd, 2010, 06:26 AM
i would like to know more about btrfs too.. :o

as for wayland, well thats the idea: seemless :)

Spice Weasel
November 22nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
KDE/GNOME will have to be ported to Wayland, unless you want to run them in the proposed Xorg compatibility mode - which will probably slow them down a fair bit.