PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought a computer from LinuxCity?

linuxforartists
November 17th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I was in the market for a Linux laptop, and I stumbled across this site: LinuxCity (http://www.linucity.com). Their prices are a lot cheaper than System76 and ZaReason, the main Linux vendors.

My impression is that they buy excess inventory and install Linux on them. The main downside is that their laptops are a little older, dual-core rather than quad-core processors. That's okay for me, since I don't do a lot of gaming or video-editing.

I tried looking for reviews on LinuxCity but can't find any. Has anyone bought a computer from them?

Henry54
April 10th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I was in the market for a Linux laptop, and I stumbled across this site: LinuxCity (http://www.linucity.com). Their prices are a lot cheaper than System76 and ZaReason, the main Linux vendors.

My impression is that they buy excess inventory and install Linux on them. The main downside is that their laptops are a little older, dual-core rather than quad-core processors. That's okay for me, since I don't do a lot of gaming or video-editing.

I tried looking for reviews on LinuxCity but can't find any. Has anyone bought a computer from them?
I have the same question; not much feedback good or bad about them online. The prices look good but I wonder about the service.):P

linuxforartists
April 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Wow, I was surprised to see a post on this thread after so long.

I think I'll probably get a laptop from Best Buy and install Linux Mint myself. Some of the laptops there are competitively priced around $500 and have much better specs than LinuxCity machines.

KL_72_TR
April 10th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Don't be surprised. Users are still posting on threads over a year (and some) old.
Until two months ago I had the 10.04 installed on a system of 2001 (Celeron, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD and integrated graphics) and it was 'Hard Rocking'. Based on this now days any kind of system will do any thing you want.
P.S. Never visited LinuxCity.

Blasphemist
April 10th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Here's another vendor to consider.
http://www.techforless.com/

I too have found the linux pc vendors to be a bit high and do sometimes use best buy. I also use this place. It's actually right down the street from me here in colorado springs but I would also order over the wire.

My experience with them has been very good. The last time I used them I wanted a replacement battery for my Toshiba Satellite. They had batteries at about half price and then gave me two of them for the price of one ($55).

They have a wide variety of mostly overstocked laptops. Some wouldn't meet my needs though at most any time I can find something that interests me.

rg4w
April 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I haven't bought from Linucity yet, but after meeting the owner, Aviv, at SCaLE in February I've been considering the company for my next laptop. Aviv struck me as very knowledgeable and passionate about Linux, and seems a very smart and earnest person. The moment he starts carrying 17" systems I'm on the phone.

3Miro
April 13th, 2011, 03:40 PM
System76 and ZaReason sell custom build laptops, which have great quality. LinuxCity seems to sell all the common brands, minus windows, plus Linux.

It is nice to know that Ubuntu will run flawlessly on this hardware and prices are great, but quality will be just lower than System76 and ZaReason. (don't get me wrong, I wish I had know about this company a year ago, when I needed a cheaper laptop)

Lucradia
April 13th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Here's another vendor to consider.
http://www.techforless.com/

I too have found the linux pc vendors to be a bit high and do sometimes use best buy. I also use this place. It's actually right down the street from me here in colorado springs but I would also order over the wire.

My experience with them has been very good. The last time I used them I wanted a replacement battery for my Toshiba Satellite. They had batteries at about half price and then gave me two of them for the price of one ($55).

They have a wide variety of mostly overstocked laptops. Some wouldn't meet my needs though at most any time I can find something that interests me.

Can you find nettops through all that garglemesh?

Blasphemist
April 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Yes, you can. You can use filters to show only what you're interested in. It is hit and miss, but it is a way to find a good buy sometimes. And anyway it's not like were running windows and you can count on having to have all power available just to have it be usable.

linuxuser2011
April 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Oh man, don't think twice.
We are buying our desktop systems to our library in Atlanta from them on a regular basis.
Their service is great and I like the fact that the system comes already with the applications that we need.

5 stars
:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

samalex
April 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I've never heard of LinuxCity but i'd be curious to know what kind of support they offer. I don't have any experience with ZaReason but I know for sure that System76 does a great job guaranteeing most if not all the hardware they sell works under Linux either out of the box or through their own drivers they provide with each system. I haven't had such luck with other systems, which it does look like LinuxCity just sells off brand systems with Linux loaded on them. If they just load whatever distro on it with no post-purchase support or driver support for hardware then I don't think the lesser cost is worth it.

Just my thoughts --

Sam