PDA

View Full Version : How to install Linux XP?

princerameses
November 17th, 2010, 03:20 AM
On their website, there are 2 (i think) torrent downloads. Which one do I get, and do I burn it to a disk or DVD? The file says 2.75 GB... which is huge.. but I'm probably looking at it wrong.

I burnt one to a CD and the splash screen loaded, but it wouldn't load the OS. (said something about a missing file)

So what do I need to do to get this OS to work?
And what are some other very user-friendly distros? This is for a friend who's copy of windows was destroyed. (on a new laptop)

wilee-nilee
November 17th, 2010, 03:41 AM
On their website, there are 2 (i think) torrent downloads. Which one do I get, and do I burn it to a disk or DVD? The file says 2.75 GB... which is huge.. but I'm probably looking at it wrong.

I burnt one to a CD and the splash screen loaded, but it wouldn't load the OS. (said something about a missing file)

So what do I need to do to get this OS to work?
And what are some other very user-friendly distros? This is for a friend who's copy of windows was destroyed. (on a new laptop)

A cd has 700Mib basically a little less 3/4 of a gig of space, you do the math here.

princerameses
November 17th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Yes I know, which is why I'm asking for help. And wondering if the file size is really that large. :)

wilee-nilee
November 17th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Yes I know, which is why I'm asking for help. And wondering if the file size is really that large. :)

I have never had a legitimate or any torrent link download not be pretty much the size it says it should be.

You have no links here to what your trying to download, as well.

princerameses
November 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.linux-xp.com/desktop/download/

I got the first one, now downloading the '28' one. (the second one)

It's from their website, so I don't see why it wouldn't be legitimate.

All I want to know is how to put one of those .iso files on my computer so I can use that operating system. :-({|=

I have CDs or I have a few blank DVDs. Please tell me what to do, thanks.

princerameses
November 19th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Anyone have any advice? This should be a pretty simple question to answer.. :P

Hippytaff
November 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM
You need to burn the iso to cd or dvd - if your using ubuntu to do it, right clich on the iso and choose the option to burn the image to disc (make sure your burning the image and not just buring the file)

this is a good guide
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

princerameses
November 19th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Thank you for replying, but I'm not sure you read all my posts.

But, anyway, with a lot of searching I think I have found that I do in fact need to burn it to a DVD. So I will try that. But people also said you will need a "dual layer DVD"... Though mine is capable of 4.7 GB.. So that should work, right?

psycho5
November 19th, 2010, 01:23 PM
As long as your image size is less than 4.7GB, you can burn it on a regular DVD. Even if it is a CD image. Although that'll be a waste of a DVD to burn a cd image on it. If the size is greater than 4.7GB, then you need to get a dual layer DVD with the burner capable of burning it. Dual layer DVDs have around 7.2 GB capacity I think.