PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Just ran an update via Synaptic...and it's all broken.

Norwood
November 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM
So, as the titles states after my upgrade I can no longer run Nautilus, right click on the desktop or anything.

I've read all the threads on here regarding this problem, followed their advice and I can't get anything to work.

What's goin' on 'round here?

I even created a new user, logged in as it and was still unable to right click, browse using nautilus etc.

deconstrained
November 16th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I assume you've tried 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' already...

The mouse problem is most likely related to an improperly configured xorg. If you're using a vendor-supplied display driver, it most likely came with a tool/utility for automagically generating a new config file, which would be worth a try before digging through /etc/X11/xorg.conf. For example, if your graphics is NVidia, you can do it with 'sudo nvidia-xconfig'.

Norwood
November 17th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I assume you've tried 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' already...

I hadn't, but just did and it just brought me back to the prompt.

The mouse problem is most likely related to an improperly configured xorg. If you're using a vendor-supplied display driver, it most likely came with a tool/utility for automagically generating a new config file, which would be worth a try before digging through /etc/X11/xorg.conf. For example, if your graphics is NVidia, you can do it with 'sudo nvidia-xconfig'.

What would I be looking for exactly in the xorg? Also, I've got no 'nvidia-xconfig' command...perhaps because it's a vm?

lin-athi
November 17th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I also have the same problem after updates.

sikander3786
November 17th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Did you try installing any available updates from terminal?

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install -f

And did you try starting nautilus from terminal? Does it start? Any errors there?

nautilus

Norwood
November 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Did you try installing any available updates from terminal?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install -fAnd did you try starting nautilus from terminal? Does it start? Any errors there?

nautilus

Yes, those are all instructions from other threads about this and nothing works.

I said screw it and simply installed a new VM with 5.0.6

Anyway, I guess my last question with this is Nautilus behavior/look & feel.

It used to look like a regular filebrowser.

Now, it just looks like a window with a list of files. Double clicking a directory opens a new nautilus window etc.

How can I get it so there's a directory tree on the left side, and new directories open right there, not some who new window leaving me with 100 open windows because I needed to drill down into a deep directory?

sikander3786
November 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Open nautilus.

Go to View and enable Side Pane.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Behavious and disable Open each folder in its own window.