PDA

View Full Version : Vista to disable Aero for pirated copies of Vista.

prizrak
April 19th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I came across a news article today http://www.fcenter.ru/online.shtml?softnews/2006/04/18#material_id=17458 (it's in Russian). Basically using the Genuine Advantage tool MS is going to have Vista check if it's a legit copy and if not Aero will be turned off.
Personally I think it's pointless as pirates will get around it anyways and 3D accelerated GUI ain't exactly the most important part of the OS. For those who want it however they are welcome to Dapper + Compiz :)

trent dillman
April 19th, 2006, 12:34 AM
That is, of course, if you don't DISABLE GENUINE ADVANTAGE AS A SERVICE.

:-P

Unless M$ is going to fix that little 'bug'...

Jedeye
April 19th, 2006, 12:38 AM
why just take away the eye candy? just lock all the functions. Its like telling a kid that stole a toy that he can keep it, but needs to give the fancy box back???

teet
April 19th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Unless Microsoft finds a way to FORCE people to use the validation tool, people will just get the updates through other sources, including downloading the "network adminstrater version" of the patches/service packs available on microsoft's own website or through nifty programs like autopatcher (which save a TON of time).

I don't really care much, though. Windows XP will probably be my last version of windows for the forseeable future. In 4 or 5 years when it's not supported/actually outdated Linux should more than fulfill my needs. Just look at how far the Linus desktop has come in the two years I've been using/playing with it.

-teet

taurus
April 19th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Whatever Microsoft comes up next to safeguard Vista, some guys in the basement of their parents' house will figure out how to break it in a few hours... ](*,)

Compucore
April 19th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I gave up when Windows XP came out since I didn't like the eye candy in that one. Even though I have one maybe two other machines with windows 2000 pro for the windows things that I need to do for work and the what nots. I'll be sticking with Ubuntu for personal use only. I was thinking of making a small home business on the side repairing and upgrading computers over here. And maybe give the option for those who don't want to use windows maybe give them an alternative which Ubuntu is a good way of using it. Maybe even set up a machine with it already installed and let them test drive it. So they can actually look at it and compare it with a windows machine. Make two machines the same specs and one you load windows xp and the other you put in Ubuntu with the latest version. SO they can see the difference between the two.

compucore

GreyFox503
April 19th, 2006, 06:15 AM
It's very unusual how Microsoft is handling this situation. They have a tool which is supposed to tell them whether your Windows installation is legal or not. Assuming their tool is accurate and you are found to have pirated it, why would they only turn off the Aero interface? Does that make any sense? XP, when not successfully activated, will shut down entirely after 30 days.

You'd think that Microsoft would try to force you to buy a copy of Windows. However, I think they've realized that it would be more benificial to them to keep as many users on Windows as possible, even if they're not legal. So instead they just decide to annoy them, hoping they will buy it (yeah right). Who is going to pay the full price of Window JUST for the Aero interface alone? No one who is already pirating it, that's who.

Besides, this is going to become irrelevant anyways. Pretty soon after release, the major pirated versions will come with the Aero interface anyway. Unless you need to take this WGA test to download critical updates, they'll never know anyway.

Lovechild
April 19th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Great news.. the more they cut off the pirate market which accounts for a significant portion of the users, the more incentive they have to look for alternative solutions or pay for the software they use - I fail to see the problem.

This is great news, they are in effect helping us by doing this. Thank you Microsoft, you are truly the biggest proponent of free software.

DoktorSeven
April 19th, 2006, 06:32 AM
So Microsoft is going to disable an ugly, bloated, My First Computer-looking desktop if you've pirated it?

What's the downside?

benplaut
April 19th, 2006, 08:06 AM
i thought that was the main reason to get vista?

anyway, good idea, MS... it's going to be cracked, but hit where it hurts ;P

mozetti
April 19th, 2006, 08:25 AM
It's very unusual how Microsoft is handling this situation. They have a tool which is supposed to tell them whether your Windows installation is legal or not. Assuming their tool is accurate and you are found to have pirated it, why would they only turn off the Aero interface? Does that make any sense? XP, when not successfully activated, will shut down entirely after 30 days.

Software & Tech Support. The OS is the most important part of a computer system, but after the initial outlay there isn't much left to generate revenue from the OS. Until people need to buy Office, Streets & Trips, etc. And then when you have trouble, you need to call a desk-jockey in India or the local computer repair-person.

After a regular user buys a computer and their eye-candy goes away, they wanna know why. At some point, they'll discover the nice computer-person sold them pirated software. Maybe a few unscrupulous PC retailers (I'm thinking small businesses, not Best Buy, Dell, etc) get reported to MS?

GreyFox503
April 19th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Ahh, so you're saying that it would let users know in a conspicuous way that something is wrong. Not for people who diliberately pirate Windows, but have been sold an illegal copy. Interesting strategy...

mips
April 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Personally I would prefer it if MS disabled illegal copies of it's os permanantly so it is totally useless untill you buy a license key. But they wont do this.

_simon_
April 19th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Has anyone noticed now that with pirated copies of XP when validation fails MS offer to sell you a valid validation key for it? In GBP it's £92 i think, this was on a pirated copy of XP Pro. That's a lot cheaper than buying the software new!

Paulus
April 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM
so they have accepted piracy. This does indeed send out an interesting message.

awakatanka
April 19th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Has anyone noticed now that with pirated copies of XP when validation fails MS offer to sell you a valid validation key for it? In GBP it's £92 i think, this was on a pirated copy of XP Pro. That's a lot cheaper than buying the software new!
You have to tell them how you get the pirated copy, You have then to show you bought it from a company that sells pirated copies. Only then you will get it for that money.

At least that was what i readed somewhere.

For those that think those people will go to linux, it will never happen. Some will try but most will keep trying to get a working copy.

Like bill said " if they use a copy i rather have them use ours" our something like that.

Stealth
April 19th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Yea, that's not gonna work. If its a pirated copy of Windows, wth makes em think that they're only gonna pirate the core OS and not the Aero interface too? I mean, its Pirated for pete's sake, they can have whatever!

Then again, I'm sure it depends if the pirate even wants Aero :lol:

GeneralZod
April 19th, 2006, 01:17 PM
so they have accepted piracy. This does indeed send out an interesting message.

This goes back years, as the famous quote (from ~1998 ) shows:

"Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, people don't pay for the software. Someday they will, though," Gates told an audience at the University of Washington. "And as long as they're going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

(http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story)

Microsoft are well aware of the value of the Network Effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect) and vendor lock-in.

Zodiac
April 19th, 2006, 02:23 PM
ha! So if I pirate the OS I won't have to have the "Earth Simulator (http://www.es.jamstec.go.jp/esc/eng/ES/hardware.html)" to run it?

prizrak
April 19th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Some other thing I read about Vista (can't remember the link but it's here on the forum) said that MS was only concerned about casual piracy. Things like a mom & pop store selling you illegal Windows. Someone randomly DLing one. Not the hardcore crackers who are gonna get around any protection MS will think of. To that end it makes quite a bit of sense to turn off the eye candy and pop up some sort of a message telling you about why and what to do about it.

BoyOfDestiny
April 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Some other thing I read about Vista (can't remember the link but it's here on the forum) said that MS was only concerned about casual piracy. Things like a mom & pop store selling you illegal Windows. Someone randomly DLing one. Not the hardcore crackers who are gonna get around any protection MS will think of. To that end it makes quite a bit of sense to turn off the eye candy and pop up some sort of a message telling you about why and what to do about it.

They would like you to have multiple windows licenses for every computer in the house, in terms of "casual" piracy.

Anyway, instead of disabling the OS, they just cut the eye candy. MS would lose marketshare and lockin of various apps. Regardless this will be cracked, but they want people to keep using windows, that's the bottom line.

BWF89
April 19th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Vista would run better without Aero anyway.

Stormy Eyes
April 19th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Vista would run better without Aero anyway.

Most computers would run better without Vista anyway.