PDA

View Full Version : The new Karate Kid movie

forrestcupp
November 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I just watched the new Karate Kid last night. I thought they did a great job with the movie, but I had a couple of complaints.

1. The instructor's name wasn't Miyagi. It's not a big deal, but it was kind of disappointing. #2 was a bigger deal to me.

2. The movie is called "Karate Kid", but it's about Kung Fu, not Karate. This wouldn't be a big deal except that they made a point in the movie to really let you know that Kung Fu is not Karate. Stupid!

Other than that, it's a great movie.

user1397
November 16th, 2010, 03:01 PM
i've been wanting to see this...your post gives me hope that it'll be decent

forrestcupp
November 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM
It was a decent movie. It was worth watching. They did a good job of pulling a lot of the main points out of the first movie and modernizing it.

Before I saw it, I really didn't have a lot of faith in Will Smith's son. I thought he probably only got the job because he's Will Smith's boy. When I watched the movie, I gained a lot of respect for him. Jaden was a pretty good actor, and he obviously is pretty great at Kung Fu in real life, especially for a 12 year old.

Great movie, but the Kung Fu thing annoys me.

Jesus_Valdez
November 16th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I liked Kung Fu Kid, altough is not as good as the original is fun in a different way.

BrokenKingpin
November 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I enjoyed watching it, but was not as good as the original trilogy.

TheNessus
November 16th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I just watched the new Karate Kid last night.

Will they make a port to gtk2 and call it Garate Gid?

3Miro
November 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Will they make a port to gtk2 and call it Garate Gid?

I think some developers from Korea are already working on it.

Seriously, Karate, Kung Fu, Taekwondo, it is all something Asian, right? Many people may not know the difference, but at least if you are making a movie about it, don't reinforce people's ignorance and let people learn something. But this is blasphemy!

armageddon08
November 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM
It was a decent movie. It was worth watching. They did a good job of pulling a lot of the main points out of the first movie and modernizing it.

Before I saw it, I really didn't have a lot of faith in Will Smith's son. I thought he probably only got the job because he's Will Smith's boy. When I watched the movie, I gained a lot of respect for him. Jaden was a pretty good actor, and he obviously is pretty great at Kung Fu in real life, especially for a 12 year old.

Great movie, but the Kung Fu thing annoys me.

I thought Jaden did a great job in The Pursuit of Happyness too. Jackie Chan was also good.

HangukMiguk
November 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Wasn't the title for 1) Continuity, and 2) because at the beginning of the movie, Jaden is learning Karate via DVDs?

And the whole not Miyagi thing is because well, Miyagi is Japanese. I think it would be sort of awkward if this movie featured a Japanese man teaching a black kid a Chinese martial art in China. Or a Chinese man with a Japanese name teaching someone a Chinese martial art.

You can't fault them for localizing. Honestly the movie is really good, even when people can nitpick about certain things like the above, it's nice to know that this movie was well-received!

I actually went to the theater to see it thinking it would be a black eye on a legendary film series, and got proved wrong. I was actually more into this film near the end of it than the original.

geoffmcc
November 16th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I didn't expect to watch this movie. I am not a big fan of remaking classics. Not to say that Karate Kid was my favorite movie or anything, but even if you didn't like the original you would still have to admit its a classic.

That being said, one night i was bored and wanted to watch something new and decided to give it a go. I liked it. It was better than I thought it would be. I like the fact that most of the movie takes place in China and not California.

I thought they could have spent more time on the tournament and some of the training and less drama, but kinda expected that.

All in all i could see it as a good kid/family/single movie to watch

forrestcupp
November 17th, 2010, 01:53 PM
And the whole not Miyagi thing is because well, Miyagi is Japanese. I think it would be sort of awkward if this movie featured a Japanese man teaching a black kid a Chinese martial art in China. Or a Chinese man with a Japanese name teaching someone a Chinese martial art.
Another great option would have been to not set the movie in China. Since a lot of companies in America are Japanese, it would be just as believable for her to be transfered to Japan where Karate is from.

But I guess having the Chinese Jackie Chan in the movie is more important. I just think if you're going to call a movie "Karate Kid", it should either be about Karate, or at least don't make a point to say that Kung Fu is not Karate.

But I agree that other than that, it was a great movie.

Edit: I'm not trying to say that Karate is better than Kung Fu; it's all about the name.

gnomeuser
November 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I have to admit that I really liked it. I watched it on my flight to Brazil and I rewatched with my fiancée after arriving as well.

My one complaint is the woo-woo pseudoscience of "cupping" being shown as actual beneficial medical treatment which is dangerous nonsense.

Outside of that I found the movie to be well timed, funny and enjoyable. It is not going to be a classic like the original but it was enjoyable.

forrestcupp
November 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM
My one complaint is the woo-woo pseudoscience of "cupping" being shown as actual beneficial medical treatment which is dangerous nonsense.

They had to come up with some Chinese version of Mr. Miyagi clapping his hands together. ;)