PDA

View Full Version : Picasa for linux!!

amchornet
November 16th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I just found a Picasa download for linux on the Picasa download page....and it works fine on my system...about time:):):guitar:

BigCityCat
November 16th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Picassa has worked in Linux for at least two years.

corrytonapple
November 16th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Always worked for me.

smellyman
November 16th, 2010, 01:54 AM
it uses wine though

BigCityCat
November 16th, 2010, 02:17 AM
no you can install it from their website with a deb package.

Rondonjin
November 16th, 2010, 02:21 AM
no you can install it from their website with a deb package.

It still uses Wine, have a look inside the package, it contains its own Wine runtime. Actually, I read somewhere that Google submitted some useful patches back to the Wine project from this.

Dragonbite
November 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I'm using digiKam. It seems to be the closest native-Linux application to Picasa.

Now if they built a Linux-native Picasa, THAT would be awesome!

northwestuntu
November 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm using digiKam. It seems to be the closest native-Linux application to Picasa.

Now if they built a Linux-native Picasa, THAT would be awesome!

that would be great!

although the wine version works good enough for me.

pwnst*r
November 16th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I just found a Picasa download for linux on the Picasa download page....and it works fine on my system...about time:):):guitar:

lol

earthpigg
November 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
It still uses Wine, have a look inside the package, it contains its own Wine runtime. Actually, I read somewhere that Google submitted some useful patches back to the Wine project from this.

this doesn't seem all that different than running cross-platform software on top of JRE, but I may be missing something.

Instead of JRE, though, we have the Windows API system.

And including it's own single little copy of Wine in the package (instead of listing it as a depend) isn't very Unix-ey.

AlphaMack
November 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM

Except that it's several versions behind.

NCLI
November 17th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Except that it's several versions behind.
You can easily upgrade it (http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/how-to-install-picasa-36-in-ubuntu.html) yourself :guitar:

Rondonjin
November 17th, 2010, 01:30 AM
this doesn't seem all that different than running cross-platform software on top of JRE, but I may be missing something.

Instead of JRE, though, we have the Windows API system.

And including it's own single little copy of Wine in the package (instead of listing it as a depend) isn't very Unix-ey.

Yes, I agree, but I suppose they tweaked various parts of the Wine runtime to improve performance/compatibility or whotnot (Too early and still too sleepy to think straight!)

In an ideal world it would be a native GTK or QT application, in an ideal world I'd still be able to drink eight pints a session instead of the pint my doctor recommends, in an ideal world I'd be able to install Digikam from the repos without the 293MB of stuff it wants to drag in as dependencies! :) It'd be far easier just to remove Gnome and install KDE! Now, there's a thought..... for a new thread of course :)

Still, I just noticed that GThumb has an "Export to Picasa Web Album" feature so there may not be much need for Picasa here any more :P

Need more coffee.....