PDA

View Full Version : Apple making big announcement tomorrow

samalex
November 15th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Looks like Apple is making some big announcement tomorrow... here's their home page:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/11/15/1289835650336/rsz_picture_83.jpg

The biggest groundbreaking announcement they could make for me is iTunes for Linux.

Sam

Simian Man
November 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM
the biggest groundbreaking announcement they could make for me is itunes for linux.

lol.

fatality_uk
November 15th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Have you not checked the preview site?

http://www.apple.com/itunes/preview/linux

juancarlospaco
November 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM
iTunes for Linux.

OMG no

LowSky
November 15th, 2010, 10:21 PM

that's funny... page not found... hmmm?

Apple makes a BIG announcement a few times a year, what is going to make this one any more special?

fatality_uk
November 15th, 2010, 10:23 PM
:) Chuckle :)

Joeb454
November 15th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out and say it'll be something like HD movies to your computer - currently I believe this is only available for Apple TV (possibly iPad too).

samalex
November 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Honestly I think they'll add streaming and play it off as if Hulu, Netflix, DishOnline, and the rest didn't exist. With so many free to cheap ways to get network and movie content off the Internet I'm not sure what new they could possibly offer anyone. Streaming is old news, but that seems to be what the rumor mills are saying.

And if they announce iPhone for Verizon then blah... it's a dud. Anyone who used Verizon and wanted an iPhone has already jumped ship. The iPhone is old news.

Honestly I can't think of anything new Apple could offer that'd interest me, except as I said before iTunes for Linux.

fatality_uk
November 15th, 2010, 10:29 PM
It's Apples version of Spotify!

jrothwell97
November 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out and say it'll be something like HD movies to your computer - currently I believe this is only available for Apple TV (possibly iPad too).

It's been possible for the computer since inception: given the new streaming Apple TV, you actually need a computer (or an iPod/Phone/Pad) to host an HD movie for the STB to play it.

Rumours are flying around that it might finally mark the appearance of the Beatles on iTunes - given the apparent vague resemblance of the clocks to the album cover for Help (and the fact it's been due for years) I wouldn't say it's at all unlikely.

Either that, or they're destroying Ping. Which would no doubt make a lot of people very happy. ;)

fatality_uk
November 15th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Gods honest truth, I really don't care!

czr114
November 15th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Honestly I think they'll add streaming and play it off as if Hulu, Netflix, DishOnline, and the rest didn't exist. With so many free to cheap ways to get network and movie content off the Internet I'm not sure what new they could possibly offer anyone. Streaming is old news, but that seems to be what the rumor mills are saying.
What they'd be offering is a service with the Apple logo, which devoted Apple users can't get anywhere else.

samalex
November 15th, 2010, 11:38 PM
What they'd be offering is a service with the Apple logo, which devoted Apple users can't get anywhere else.

I guess to those who only live in the world of Jobs all else doesn't exist, so to those Apple's 'invention' of streaming video would be God Sent, I mean Jobs Sent. I'll be honest I used OSX as my primary system for many years, but that was when Apple was still Apple Computer.... I'm not digging this new Apple Corp.

Sam

sanderd17
November 15th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I would care if they would open-source all their code. But I don't think that will happen :P

Habitual
November 15th, 2010, 11:44 PM
that's funny... page not found... hmmm?

Apple makes a BIG announcement a few times a year, what is going to make this one any more special?

working antennas?

bigsmitty64
November 16th, 2010, 12:28 AM
the beatles on itunes - given the apparent vague resemblance of the clocks to the album cover for help (and the fact it's been due for years) i wouldn't say it's at all unlikely.

+1

Ric_NYC
November 16th, 2010, 12:32 AM
A keyboard for the iPad!

Genius!

It only costs U$1000,00!

exploder
November 16th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Maybe Apple has found someone new to sue? They are in the business of suing other business aren't they? Products are just a sideline right? :):P:)

Edit: I just couldn't resist, the temptation was just too strong...

Ric_NYC
November 16th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Maybe Apple has found someone new to sue? They are in the business of suing other business aren't they? Products are just a sideline right? :):P:)

Edit: I just couldn't resist, the temptation was just too strong...

:lolflag:

Merk42
November 16th, 2010, 12:52 AM
I was going to say Verizon iPhone and/or in white, but I see it's for iTunes. So yeah I'm gonna go with jrothwell97 and say Beatles.

A keyboard for the iPad!

Genius!

It only costs U$1000,00!
The fact that the announcement is for iTunes aside, the iPad keyboard (http://store.apple.com/us/product/IPAD_KBDOCK?mco=MTcyMTgwOTg) has been out for some time and only costs $69 USD

dondiego2
November 16th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I like the new Boxee Box

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/11/15/the-boxee-box-sizing-up-the-competition/

dondiego2
November 16th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Wall Street Journal says Beatles on iTunes

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703326204575617004052395816.html

benerivo
November 16th, 2010, 01:01 AM
...Rumours are flying around that it might finally mark the appearance of the Beatles on iTunes - given the apparent vague resemblance of the clocks to the album cover for Help (and the fact it's been due for years) I wouldn't say it's at all unlikely;)...

It is surely the beatles. Lyric connections as well as symbology. Plus every mac based site has it as a rumour.

Austin25
November 16th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Apple: Hey we have something cool!
Me: What?
Apple: Nothing that concerns you! lol
Me Oh.

Guitar John
November 16th, 2010, 01:06 AM
The suspense.
I'll be watching this news closely.
:popcorn:

handy
November 16th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I heard that Apple & Oracle were joining forces & that the announcement was to launch the new name ScorApple & the logo is the Apple logo with an arrow through it.

Gremlinzzz
November 16th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Steve Jobs crossing Abbey road.
Abbey Road
http://www.abbeyroad.com/visit/

could've sworn it was him.

3rdalbum
November 16th, 2010, 06:22 AM
They are going to make iTunes faster, hence the clocks.

Old Marcus
November 16th, 2010, 07:40 AM
The Beatles on iTunes. Woop-de-doo.

ukripper
November 16th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Probably announcement may be along these lines - Apple and Oracle joining forces in finding another open source project to wipe out from face of this Web.

zer010
November 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I've heard that they were going to offer unlimited downloads for a monthly charge, but I guess it could be anything, including The Beatles....whoop-de-doo indeed....

cascade9
November 16th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I know! .flac support. Wait a sec......apple doesnt support open source audio codecs, so .flac support is not happening.

amitabhishek
November 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Perhaps Mr. Jobs is switching from turtle neck T-shirts to Polo ones.

itsmattknox
November 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
All signs seem to be pointing towards The Beatles, but honestly... If this front page "big announcement" turns out to be nothing more than now you can buy the Beatles from US, even though if you wanted the Beatles you would have bought the CDs ten or fifteen years ago I'll be... quite disappointed.

Evil-Ernie
November 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Knowing Apple it will be something thats already out there, only they will put it in a snazzy case, give it a status symbol price tag and to finish it off a nice glowing half eaten piece of fruit to show the rest of the commuters on the train you are a higher form of life to them!

Did anyone else get annoyed over the iPhone 4 adverts with 'Facetime' which, as far as I can tell is video calling which a lot of mobile phone users have enjoyed for many years without fuss or fanfare? Also it shows the standard Apple user missing his childs birthday because obviously he is too busy and important to be a good parent!!

Opps digressed into a rant there! LOL

Verbeck
November 16th, 2010, 01:53 PM
All signs seem to be pointing towards The Beatles, but honestly... If this front page "big announcement" turns out to be nothing more than now you can buy the Beatles from US, even though if you wanted the Beatles you would have bought the CDs ten or fifteen years ago I'll be... quite disappointed.

it'll be iBeatles then

forrestcupp
November 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM
It's probably just another generation of iPhones.

The biggest groundbreaking announcement they could make for me is iTunes for Linux.

SamI highly doubt if Apple or 99% of the rest of the world would consider that a groundbreaking announcement. ;)

Lol.

Spr0k3t
November 16th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Personally speaking, apple has yet to announce anything groundbreaking.

forrestcupp
November 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
So, it's the Beatles on iTunes thing, then. $150 for every Beatles song ever made.

Verbeck
November 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Beatles
http://www.apple.com/itunes/

:lol:

KiwiNZ
November 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
The Beatles fans will no doubt be happy, personally I cannot stand the Beatles so it's not an issue for me.

user1397
November 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM
The Beatles fans will no doubt be happy, personally I cannot stand the Beatles so it's not an issue for me.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat
how can you not stand the beatles? burn the heretic! :guitar:

Joeb454
November 16th, 2010, 06:38 PM
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat
how can you not stand the beatles? burn the heretic! :guitar:

In Kiwi's defense, I'm not a beatles fan either really. I can listen to it, but it's not something I'd go out and buy, if that makes sense?

samalex
November 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM
That's it??? Beatles on iTunes??? I've got all their stuff already. What the heck Apple... Any Beatles fan by now already has all their stuff and probably won't be rushing to iTunes to download it. And anyone young enough to not have bought their stuff has already gotten it via bit-torrents or elsewhere.

I'm a huge Beatles fan and I'm glad to see their music is finally on iTunes, but honestly was it worth all the hoopla? I think not.

Verbeck
November 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM
: edited out

RiceMonster
November 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Oh, so the announcements was about the Beatles?

Meh. To be honest, when they said it was about iTunes I wasn't expecting it to be anything that interested me.

sydbat
November 16th, 2010, 07:36 PM
That's it??? Beatles on iTunes??? I've got all their stuff already. What the heck Apple... Any Beatles fan by now already has all their stuff and probably won't be rushing to iTunes to download it. And anyone young enough to not have bought their stuff has already gotten it via bit-torrents or elsewhere.Hang on...you mean Apple didn't just invent these "Beatles"?? They were somehow around "before" our benevolent overlord Steven created them exclusively for iTunes?? Liar!!

Sporkman
November 16th, 2010, 07:37 PM
...For the music industry, the arrival of the Beatles for download might mean even less.

"The digital music market (and the young music fans record labels desperately need to get engaged) need new music products, not yesteryear's hits repackaged," said Mark Mulligan, a Forrester analyst, in a statement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101116/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_apple_itunes_beatles

TNT1
November 16th, 2010, 07:40 PM
So, is the announcement over? Can I breathe again? No, wait, can I only get Beatles music via itunes now? WTF? Will jobbies come and sue me over my White album on vinyl (amongst the rest of my collection)?

pwnst*r
November 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM
They are going to make iTunes faster, hence the clocks.

It's already fast. Maybe you need to upgrade your 10 year old hardware?

czr114
November 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101116/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_apple_itunes_beatles

Yep, that sounds just like someone from the entertainment/marketing world.

The business plan requires throwing everything old away and buying something freshly made because the margins are higher. Timeless, quality music, in the minds of these jerks, is a threat to keeping every customer on the treadmill of consumerism.

As the music industry ages, a greater portion of history goes online, more users make use of recommendation services going into a catalog before they came of age, and the minimum fidelity in the last X years continues to rise, it would be mathematically expected that there would be a growing proportion of sales going to the back catalog, just based on math and statistics.

These clowns would flush Mozart away because nobody is collecting the royalties.

Then they wonder why people revolt against the paradigm of an entertainment budget as a significant-cost perpetuity.

juancarlospaco
November 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Apple is dropping Intel for AMD on the future...

... and then PC-Chips and Via.

KiwiNZ
November 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Give me Pink Floyd, Uriah Heep, Yes, Queen, Meatloaf,Crowded House any day. Beatles ...Yuk

I had hoped that their announcement was for Cloud and Mobile ME going free in conjunction with the Data Center opening. That may still happen as is still rumored.

ukripper
November 16th, 2010, 08:17 PM
in kiwi's defense, i'm not a beatles fan either really. I can listen to it, but it's not something i'd go out and buy, if that makes sense?

+1:)

pwnst*r
November 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I love the Beatles, but mostly the early stuff. This makes no difference to me though since I already own these in FLAC.

MasterNetra
November 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Oh, so the announcements was about the Beatles?

Meh. To be honest, when they said it was about iTunes I wasn't expecting it to be anything that interested me.

Sadly yes that apparently was it...

handy
November 17th, 2010, 02:29 AM
So, Michael Jackson, owned the Apple records label or at least the rights to the Beatles recordings made under it. Does this mean that those controlling the MJ estate have sold the rights to do this to Apple computers?

Groucho Marxist
November 17th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Come together, right now, for DRM.

Merk42
November 17th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Come together, right now, for DRM.Music has been available in iTunes DRM-Free for quite some time now, but don't let silly facts get in the way of your Apple hate.

doorknob60
November 17th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Lawl at Apple computers making a deal with Apple Corps.

amitabhishek
November 17th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Saw this funny comment on a news site. Thought to quote. Obviously referring to the new Microsoft commercial.

"I'm a MAC. I just heard of this great new band called the Beatles."
"I'm a PC. Yea, they been around for ages."
:lolflag:

Khakilang
November 17th, 2010, 06:17 AM
That will be the day when Apple actually produce real apple to feed those children in the third world countries.

bitscarre
November 17th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I thought they would announce iPhone 5, iPad 2 or something like that.

Guitar John
November 17th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I don't mind the Beatles. I just seem to like it better when it it performed by other people (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u55G1VGuTfs).

My niece is a die hard fan and iTunes subscriber (where did I fail her?). She will, of course, be thrilled by this news.

Lancro
November 17th, 2010, 10:48 PM
2 days ago apple was doing a great announcement, so what?, where is the announcement.

tgm4883
November 17th, 2010, 10:53 PM
2 days ago apple was doing a great announcement, so what?, where is the announcement.

I don't visit their site, and I haven't read too much of the thread, but I saw a story that the Beatles are now on itunes, so that was probably it

whiskeylover
November 18th, 2010, 03:41 PM
So this was the next great innovation by Apple everybody was waiting for.

samalex
November 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
OP here -- yeah it was quite a disappointing announcement. Though one of our two main systems at home is a Mac and at one point I probably was an Apple Fanboy, I honestly parted ways with Jobs and crew a while back.

Not that I'm not anti-Apple, I really think they make some of the best hardware on the market regardless of what OS you run on it, but they don't listen to their customers which IMO is a poor choice.