PDA

View Full Version : For those whom can't wake on time.

Alpha101
November 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Like me, if you're a heavy sleeper, the morning is a hell gauntlet to handle, and getting up on time can be something of an -aspiration- and less of a daily thing.
I found something that may help for linux users, and other OS users alike.

http://onlineclock.net/video/
Use this online alarm clock, setting it to whatever time you choose, and have it play this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzi5oZDGd_k&feature=player_embedded

Trust me...if you dont get the heck up from this, then it may be time to go to bed longer than two hours before you need to get up :)

The video alarm clock can be set, and then you can have your computer lock it's screen like it normally does, not only must you enter your password (mines really long and complicated so it takes longer), you then have to navigate to the window.
For -really- heavy sleepers, max out the volume on your stereo. :guitar:

Putting this out there, as I was working on it right a minute ago, so I thought I'd help fellow heavy sleepers.

Tristam Green
November 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM
For those who...

Alpha101
November 15th, 2010, 09:44 PM
For those who...

Yep..I caught that too after I posted..>>
For those whom cannot wake on time? That better?

Edit -
I have horrid grammar.

czr114
November 15th, 2010, 09:46 PM
"Sorry boss, even though the URL redirect worked, the binary Flash plugin crashed and didn't render the content because it's not yet being loaded in an isolated process independent of stateful errors experienced in the past. There's really nothing I can do until we see a greater adoption of more resiliant HTML5 WebM standards."

Cuddles McKitten
November 15th, 2010, 09:47 PM
It sounds like you might be trying to wake yourself up when you're in the deepest part of your sleep cycle. Another possible approach you might want to try is waking up 30-45 minutes earlier when (hopefully) you're sleeping much more lightly.

Supposedly, (I've never tried them, so I can't say if they work) there are wrist watches that can wake you up within a one and a half to two hour window based on where you are in your sleep cycle.

Alpha101
November 15th, 2010, 09:52 PM
"Sorry boss, even though the URL redirect worked, the binary Flash plugin crashed and didn't render the content because it's not yet being loaded in an isolated process independent of stateful errors experienced in the past. There's really nothing I can do until we see a greater adoption of more resiliant HTML5 WebM standards."

Say wha-?
I clicked on it and it worked for me..maybe I did something wrong..?

Edit-
Oh...
OHHHHH

Now I get it..
Hurr hurr.

cariboo
November 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM
That only works if you sleep with your computer. :) I don't have one in my bedroom, so a $20.00 clock radio works for me.

LowSky
November 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I'll just stick to my cell phone as an alarm clock

bitscarre
November 15th, 2010, 10:36 PM
The alarm clock + phone alarm do the job. Sleeping with a computer on, would require having the speakers on, and sometimes you hear that buzzing which is very annoying. If only the computer could have a hand, to turn on the speakers...

Alpha101
November 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I got me some JBL soundsticks. The things don't buzz for me, unless I -max- it.

Austin25
November 16th, 2010, 01:18 AM
This (apt://alarm-clock).:guitar:

corrytonapple
November 16th, 2010, 01:34 AM
What is that Austin?
Also, I have the Chickens wake me up. :)

racie
November 16th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Or if you'd rather stick to an alarm clock not on the computer...
http://www.uberreview.com/2006/03/top-ten-most-annoying-alarm-clocks.htm

ikt
November 16th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I don't have a problem with the waking up, it's the getting out of bed that's the hard part :(

Alpha101
November 16th, 2010, 05:46 AM
-Exactly-. It feels so awesome in bed doesn't it? I mean heck, it's warm, its soft...why the hell do I want to get up?
Which is why I got to scare the yonkers out of myself to make sure I get to the alarm a.s.a.p.
I make sure I can get up.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 16th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I just have my watch, two to three alarms on my phone and my actual alarm clock. (Eventually) gets me up every time :)

Cuddles McKitten
November 16th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I don't have a problem with the waking up, it's the getting out of bed that's the hard part :(

Just do what I do: in order to save money, I've never bought a bed or a mattress. I just sleep on the floor with a blanket and some pillows. The one problem is that if you sleep on your side, you need a hip pillow. If you don't get one, the dull, throbbing pain will keep you up in the middle of the night. No problem getting up the morning!

Alpha101
November 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM
....What the...

Sorry mate, but...I find I'd much rather like to have my back in working order and some place to take to for sleeping with my loved one. It may work, but..just ouch.

Sean Moran
November 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
This is a very silly question, and I know that I should know better than to even bother to ask it, because the BIOS is the BIOS and rather set in its ways all 'round, unchangeable.

It's a silly question to ask, but just out of interest, has there ever been anything invented for Ubuntu like an alarm clock where I can set the time to wakeup, and then switch the machine off entirely?

I suppose not, but maybe there is some kind of system that can give the BIOS a bit of a shove at the right time. Otherwise, does it work in Hibernate mode, and what is the general average percentage of power usage over eight hours in Hibernate mode, compared with rock'n'roll mode?