PDA

View Full Version : RPG games for beginner?

armageddon08
November 15th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I want to start playing RPGs. Please suggest some pc rpgs for beginners. Both western as well as japanese rpgs will do.
Thanks.

koleoptero
November 15th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I want to start playing RPGs. Please suggest some pc rpgs for beginners. Both western as well as japanese rpgs will do.
Thanks.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Tibuda
November 15th, 2010, 04:53 PM
what kind of rpg? Table RPG, Eletronic Single-player RPG, or Eletronic Multiplayer RPG?

Gremlinzzz
November 15th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Dink smallwood should be in repositories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6B6lWAL6qw

armageddon08
November 15th, 2010, 05:14 PM
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Thanks. Would I be able to understand the story without playin the previous games?

what kind of rpg? Table RPG, Eletronic Single-player RPG, or Eletronic Multiplayer RPG?

Electronic Single Player/ PC RPG.

Gremlinzzz
November 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.agdinteractive.com/

Spice Weasel
November 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

NightwishFan
November 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
The greatest RPG of all time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura

Windows only, however a Linux/Windows open source project is in the works.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1595463

endotherm
November 15th, 2010, 06:21 PM
not sure if your asking gerally or specifically for ubuntu.
Final Fantasy 7 is perhaps the most celebrated RPG of all time. you can't go wrong there. I also strongly recommend 10 and 12.

Neverwinter Nights is fun, as are the Knights of the old Republic games.

I didn't like the Oblivion, just because it's FPS. gave me vertigo, and ultimately I couldn't play it. '

and if you want somthing with a long series and a very deep plot, check out .//Hack

armageddon08
November 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try these out.

@endotherm: I'm asking for the windows platform. The Final Fantasy games are not available for the PC i think.

The Elder Scrolls series seems nice, although I'd like something more along the lines of point n click.

infestor
November 15th, 2010, 07:02 PM
two words:

planescape: torment

the best crpg i have ever played in my entire life. but you might not want to try it if:
-you dont like long dialogues (and i mean really long)
-you want to hack and slash most of the time

there is also one down side with planescape: torment, which is: after playing this game, you really will not get any pleasure from any other crpg :)

koleoptero
November 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks. Would I be able to understand the story without playin the previous games?

You'll be fine yes.

Swarms
November 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM
You'll be fine yes.

And when you're done with Oblivion and want something better, play Gothic 1 and 2, we do not speak of the rest. ;) Each game are pretty old (thus very cheap on sites like gog.com), but really offers a more lively world than I have experienced in any modern game like Oblivion or Fallout.

del_diablo
November 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Fallout 1, then 2
Forgets beths crappy spinoff, that is a different genre: Wandering sandbox genre.

Lancro
November 15th, 2010, 08:24 PM
They have already mentioned them, but Knights Of The Old Republic (KOTOR) I and II, are amazing, you will love them, I have done them in all difficulty modes and with all the yedi classes, they are very good, and one noone has mentioned, Dungeon siege II. But the problem is the need of windows, I would like an RPG for linux with good graphics, not the ones from the repos, the screenshots are very poor...

del_diablo
November 25th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Sort of a note: I heard that Jade Empire is more or less Kotor and the standard RPG plot, only that its set in ancient allmythsaretrue China.

earthpigg
November 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM
knights of the old republic.

the first, and only, RPG i've played all the way through.

very accessible and noob friendly.

gnomeuser
November 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
GOG.com has a fine selection of cRPG game classics. I would personally recommend Fallout 1+2, the Baldur's Gate games, both Icewind Dale. Planescape Torment is also a must have.

All are easy to get into and addictive. I love Fallout 2, it might be over a decade old but it still has some of the best RPG experiences and the most interesting world t explore available on the computer.

doorknob60
November 25th, 2010, 08:40 PM
It's not a PC RPG (though it can be emulated), but Paper Mario is very good, espcially for beginners. It's for Nintendo 64. If you have a Wii it's on Virtual Console also. And it works in Mupen64plus. Its sequel for the Gamecube is just as good, if not better, too :)

nlsthzn
November 25th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Sort of a note: I heard that Jade Empire is more or less Kotor and the standard RPG plot, only that its set in ancient allmythsaretrue China.

Jade Empire isn't nearly in the same league as Kotor... if feels and plays like a console port (I was not impressed, and that was after getting a deluxe edition in a nice metal case with beautiful art book etc... which was the highlight of the whole experience)...

Regards
Neil

madjr
November 25th, 2010, 11:31 PM
YOu need to go from the bottom up, the best rpgs you need to play before anything else:

final fantasy 3/6, chrono trigger and lunar series.

which are all easy to get working in ubuntu.

then.

fire emblem and warcraft3 are also a nice mix of rpg and strategy.

dragon quest, also very nice.

after:

all the ones mentioned here are excellent choices after the ones mentioned above. (some may need powerful video cards)

but thats just my opinion :)

Changturkey
November 25th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Chrono Trigger. Final Fantasy 9. Basically, anything from the 90's is a good start. Xenogears as well.

cogar66
November 26th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Fallout 1/2/New Vegas are all great RPGs. KotOR I is good KotOR II is fantastic but unfinished, but if you're a pc gamer, which I suspect you are, there's a restoration mod here: http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=11. Planescape: Torment is also fantastic, but the combat is pretty meh. I'd also suggest Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65aLzLWP74. VTMB is extremely buggy though so I'd get the unofficial patch: http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php For beginners, I'd go with Fallout 1/2, pretty easy combat. Ignore Oblivion, horrible game.

CharlesA
November 26th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Fallout 1 rocks.

weasel fierce
November 26th, 2010, 08:07 AM
If you do have a PS2, Rogue Galaxy was an amazingly fun rpg and doesn't get nearly enough talk.

An older one, but I am amazed noone has brought up the Baldurs Gate games yet.

madjr
November 26th, 2010, 08:18 AM
oh my gosh, i think we forgot zelda!

Rodney9
November 26th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Any good ones for Ubuntu ?

del_diablo
November 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM
oh my gosh, i think we forgot zelda!

?
Zelda is a metroidvania (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Metroidvania). You go around, beating bosses and collect powerup, and you do a lot of retracking and rewalking due new equipment allowing you to access new areas. It is just a little less glaring when you are traveling a country filled with dungeons, instead of the oversized dungeon.

CharlesA
November 26th, 2010, 03:42 PM
An older one, but I am amazed noone has brought up the Baldurs Gate games yet.

Totally forgot about those!

madhi19
November 26th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Dungeon and Dragon Online! It took me a while to get it working with wine but once it does it work superbly!

MasterNetra
November 26th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Any good ones for Ubuntu ?

FreedroidRPG in repo.

Also seems to fit what the OP looking for to a degree, it is a point and click RPG. In its sourceforge listing it has a windows download, not a binary it seems though.

@OP

Also, Diablo II (and its expansions) are point and click.

But I personally at least perfer the Elderscrolls series (Morrowind & Oblivion in particular) and the KOTOR games. Though the KOTOR games would be the closer of the two to what your looking for.

The original Digimon Game was pretty good. Don't think there is a PC version of it. But you could always play the Playstation version on the PC via a Playstation emulator. Not a point and click granted but meh, still was pretty good. Even if its sequels were crap.

But I guess the Final Fantasy games and FreedroidRPG, and probably Diablo II (maybe 3 as well, I haven't played the latest incarnations) would fit the bill on what your looking for though.

armageddon08
November 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Right now I'm playing Oblivion and i think I like it very much.

madjr
November 27th, 2010, 12:32 AM
battle for wesnoth is kinda and rpg, but is another very good game, open source and in the repos

putonghua73
December 16th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Check out this (http://www.listal.com/list/rpg-world-pc-edition) list to get a feel for RPGs (of all types) that are out there. Note: the list was compiled end of 2008, so doesn't include more recent titles such as Mass Effect 1 & 2, or the Witcher.

Bioware titles are generally newbie friendly, so I'd +1 the recommendation for KOTOR - however, I've never been a Star Wars [SW] fan, so I'm lukewarm at best to the SW universe.

I'd also +1 the recommendation for old titles such as:

Baldur's Gate series - old school AD&D 2nd edition rule-set (personally I preferred Traveller, but especially Cyberpunk rule-sets for table-top RPG play), monty-haul, hack 'n' slash series; with an incredibly detailed, gigantic world, a plot with lots of intrigue and danger, excellent ambient sounds, and characters with genuine personality.

Don't let the graphics put you off, because Baldur's Gate has a tremendous amount of charm, offering hours and hours and hours of gameplay. It's huge! Oh, it is initially seriously hard. Tactics do work, so save often, and use the environment, character class choices, range, and especially magic to your advantage.

Fallout series - if you want a change of scenery from high fantasy, and want a gritty, more realistic world filled with dark humour - not to mention real moral choices with consequences. For any affidavit, I absolutely love Bethseda's homage to the Fallout series in Fallout 3 [GOTY edition].

Planescape Tormet - yet to play, and at the top of my list when I finally finish working my way through a backlog of titles. As others have said, perhaps one of the most original, and thought-provoking character-driven RPGs out there.

As for other comments, the Final Fantasy series is (mostly) available on Pc. I've never been into Japanese RPGs, but one fine day, I owe it to myself to start with Final Fantasy VII.

I personally think Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is the best RPG out there in terms of presenting a completely freeform alternate fantasy world. However, it isn't newbie friendly because you are completely left to your own devices - so it isn't as structured as Oblivion, say. The other negative is that combat is a big let-down in Morrowind.

I've noticed that it is very rare for anyone to acknowledge Fahrenheit. It's less a traditional RPG, and more an interactive movie. That said, there is a sustained narrative with real choices to be made, that affect gameplay, and your relationship with other characters, as well as narrative branches (to an extent).

It features a complex narrative, with dark, disturbing and mature themes; yet deftly handles adult content, and the emotional relationships between characters with maturity.

Throw in a claustrophobic feel caused by most of the gameplay taking place at night, in increasingly cold, wintery weather, coupled with Angelo Badalamenti's (provided the musical score to David Lynch's Twin Peaks, amongst others) haunting musical score, and you have an emotionally satisfying game, that begs to be converted into a feature-length film.

Oh, the basketball scene is pure classic, comedic [dalogue] gold!

Cheers!

Pogeymanz
December 16th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try these out.

@endotherm: I'm asking for the windows platform. The Final Fantasy games are not available for the PC i think.

The Elder Scrolls series seems nice, although I'd like something more along the lines of point n click.

Actually FF7 did have a PC version. All I remember about the "enhanced" graphics was that the characters had eyebrows. (oooh)

armageddon08
December 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Just played and completed Mass Effect. Amazing experience.

CharlesA
December 16th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Just played and completed Mass Effect. Amazing experience.

Nice. I've heard of it, but haven't actually played it.

I'll also give another +1 to Fallout 1 and 2.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas aren't exactly the same but they still have elements from the FO universe.

armageddon08
December 16th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Nice. I've heard of it, but haven't actually played it.

I'll also give another +1 to Fallout 1 and 2.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas aren't exactly the same but they still have elements from the FO universe.

Try it. It almost feels like an interactive movie.:p

CharlesA
December 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Try it. It almost feels like an interactive movie.:p
Wow. That's kinda cool, actually. :D