PDA

View Full Version : Make Ubuntu Forums Beautiful

plurworldinc
November 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
One of the major highlights for me with the new look and feel of Ubuntu since 10.4 was the look and feel. I never had a problem with the brown, but I love the new wallpapers and the purple feel of Ubuntu today. So with that thought I would love to see this site updated to capture the same design feel of the new look. It's just a thought, but wouldn't it be nice.

sharks
November 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
It's already good as it is. ;)

TNT1
November 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I second the call... Lovely forum, neat people here, does look a little sub-par compared to other forums I frequent, and no, I don't mean (only) that of which shall not be mentioned...

TiBaal89
November 15th, 2010, 04:53 PM
It's funny that purple is associated with the newer Ubuntu look... there are really only two elements that have that color as far as I can tell - the stock wallpaper and the default terminal background. I use my own wallpaper and changed the terminal to black - the purple is decidedly absent on my system.

What I like very much about the new look is the use of the much darker gray tones for the panels, windows, etc. It's not quite "gray" - I don't know what to call it, it feels warmer than just a dark gray. It's very nice and easy on the eyes (literally! I stare at for long periods of time daily).

I'm not sure how that would translate to use on a forum... for the time being though, this one is one of the better looking forums out there IMO.

Frogs Hair
November 15th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that a new forum look is already in the works . I think it's question of when .

Gremlinzzz
November 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Its not about looks its about the information you get from the forum.
Like what kind of tea people like and cheese.

Verbeck
November 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
the current mock-up (i think) <snip>

Spice Weasel
November 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM
the current mock-up (i think) <snip>

Not bad... It does seem to be a bit slow though.

zekopeko
November 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Not bad... It does seem to be a bit slow though.

Probably not a high end server. The dude is hosting it from his personal server AFAICT.

Technoviking
November 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM
This is my personal webhost where I'm working the new look for the forums. Please do not use this forums, because it is on a very slow server and effect the work I need to do.

T-V

Lucradia
November 15th, 2010, 05:55 PM
the current mock-up (i think) [<snip>

Colors clash too much. Less saturated orange is needed.

Spice Weasel
November 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Probably not a high end server. The dude is hosting it from his personal server AFAICT.

I meant that it's slow on my end. Firefox lags when scrolling the page, but it doesn't on these forums.

Verbeck
November 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM
k... new link ; less load on his server
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/10/ubuntu-forums-to-get-new-design-before-natty/

Technoviking
November 15th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I appreciate feedback, but most of my design is based as close as I can on the Ubuntu Branding Guidelines (http://design.canonical.com/the-toolkit/ubuntu-brand-guidelines/) (especially the colors). Also, There is so much feedback I can use, and I will not make everyone happy.

Thanks,
T-V

plurworldinc
November 16th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Since I have only been using Ubuntu for a few years now I had the pleasure of watching it grow from the brown to the purple. One of the things I use to do right after any install was customize the desktop for my personal use. The Forum reflects the beauty of the community, with out this website I would have never stayed with Linux as a noob because I would have had no general idea of how to get anything done.

The Forum should match the website for comfort. I know it is not about looks but it is about being professional. I am not saying the forum is bad in anyway. I am basically stating an makeover would be welcomed to all.

Sean Moran
November 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Some sort of sepia background might help the eyestrain on the pages, and possibly a gentle sort of gunmetal for the page background doesn't mess with anyones' (or any distros') favourite colour, and style can grow from the ground beneath it, just like a flower.

plurworldinc
December 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Its not about looks its about the information you get from the forum.
Like what kind of tea people like and cheese.

Your right it is not about looks, information is key. However I am thanking from the view point of a noob or new user. When I was converted over from Windows, I loved the interface of Ubuntu and found the Forum to be very useful and a must have. There is a lot to be said about a polished product in the end.

Othvix
December 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I really hope that the new Ubuntu skin is not going to be as the preview in the OMG! Ubuntu! post. The new Ubuntu Wiki's skin is awesome, Ubuntu Forum's design along that line would be fantastic!

madjr
December 9th, 2010, 05:36 PM
but please EASY ON THE EYES, not too many bright colors or whites.