PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out garage and found some awesome retro tech

samalex
November 15th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Hey Guys ...

We recently moved into a new house, but most of my old computer stuff just got shifted from the old garage to the new one. This weekend I started going through some of it and ran across some awesome retro tech stuff and I snapped some photos of it.

The first is my old HP Jornada I bought around 1999 or 2000. What's even more awesome is I had an unopened battery that actually booted the thing up. Check out Windows CE at its finest :) What sucks though is these devices lost everything if the battery tied and I didn't have a CF card in it, so none of my old stuff was on it. But still... wonder if Linux would work on it :guitar:

Also I found a box of old floppies from my TRS-80 systems and first MS-DOS system along with some cassettes. Yes that's Cocktail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_%281988_film%29), the awesome 80's movie.

I still have boxes full of old drives, cables, and who knows what, so after I get my garage cleared out I hope to setup an area to start tinkering with this stuff some more. I'd love to see some of these old systems brought back to life.

Take care --

Sam

So what's in your garage?

Sean Moran
November 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I've got a couple of Ipex P-I 133Mhz boxes stashed away for antiquity back in Australia. Two things I wish I'd never parted with were my Vic20 (obviously) and my Osborne 1 Laptop (ie. traytop) with twin 5.25" floppie drives.

Still have my Compaq Deskpro P-II 233, but he's still in operation as a server when I need one back home. Runs Ubuntu okay, albeit not exactly quickly. I don't expect Ubuntu to run too well on a P-I 133Mhz w/32 Mb RAM.

Spice Weasel
November 15th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Nice. What version of DOS does it have installed? :D