PDA

View Full Version : External bookmarks in Firefox?

gabriella
November 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hello everyone!

Here's my problem. I sometimes use a shared computer at work, well it's usually just me who uses it but someone else could. I have a pile of bookmarks that I'd like to have access to but don't want to put them Firefox on that PC. So I was wondering if there was a way I could get access to them if they were stored on a flash drive?

I'm not talking about importing them into FF as they would then be on the PC. I've looked in FF bookmarks but can't figure out a way of doing it. I there something I'm missing here?

Thanks

handy
November 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
You could save your Bookmarks as an .html file & carry that on your flash drive, or/& store it on your email account.

Then you just have to open the .html file in Firefox or whatever browser & scroll down to the link you want to use.

Sean Moran
November 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hello everyone!

Here's my problem. I sometimes use a shared computer at work, well it's usually just me who uses it but someone else could. I have a pile of bookmarks that I'd like to have access to but don't want to put them Firefox on that PC. So I was wondering if there was a way I could get access to them if they were stored on a flash drive?

I'm not talking about importing them into FF as they would then be on the PC. I've looked in FF bookmarks but can't figure out a way of doing it. I there something I'm missing here?

Thanks
Just build a simple website on a free host and upload your bookmarks.html file to there, and wherever you are and whatever your on at the time, you can just key in the URL to the bookmarks online, as long as you remember to clear the locations and the cache afterwards if there's anything you want to keep to yourself.

smellyman
November 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Never tried it, but there is portable firefox that you can keep on a usb key...

gabriella
November 16th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Never tried it, but there is portable firefox that you can keep on a usb key...

Ok thanks, and thanks for the ideas. i had hoped there was a way of opening a seperate bookmark menu from a USB drive but maybe thats not possible. My other option is to use one of the online bookmarks sites although that seems a clumsy way of doing it to me.

eriktheblu
November 16th, 2010, 09:10 PM
http://portableapps.com/
I've used this for Windows machines at work that prohibit software installation.

benerivo
November 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
You don't neccasarily have to use an installed version of firefox. If someone were to turn up at my house with a firefox nightly download (http://nightly.mozilla.org/) they could run it straight from the downloaded file. If they also had their ~/.mozilla file then they could copy that over to the current ~/ directory and use not just their bookmarks, but their whole firefox profile. The situation is likely to be similar when using windows. When finished you would just delete the ~/.mozilla profile from the computer so the profile wouldn't be left.

handy
November 17th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I've been using Foxmarks/Xmarks for ages, & it works really well. It offers you the option of encrypting your data as well.

You can access your account from any computer & use your Bookmarks directly from your account.

wojox
November 17th, 2010, 02:32 AM
You could save your Bookmarks as an .html file & carry that on your flash drive, or/& store it on your email account.

Then you just have to open the .html file in Firefox or whatever browser & scroll down to the link you want to use.

Seems pretty resalable to me. I've done it in the past.