PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 cups don't start

roi_danton
November 15th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hi all,
On my system cups don't start automatically. Yes, there's a cups file in /etc/init.d/ and yes, there's a link to this file in rc2.d.
"sudo service cups start" starts the service correctly but I MUST run this command systematically before print.
Could you help me to understand the problem and correct it ?

Thanks for your help,
Philippe

roi_danton
November 16th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Is there anybody here who can help to trace what happened (or not happened) in the system start ?

roi_danton
November 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I don't understand why nobody cares about this issue. It's the same in the french forum : no response. :(

I am new to ubuntu (some months) and I must start manually CUPS each time I boot my PC.

Morbius1
November 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
[1] The first thing you should look at is if the following file is empty: /etc/network/interfaces
It should have the following content:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
[2] If that's not the issue then create a little script that will force a start on every boot:

Create a script:

gksu gedit /etc/network/if-up.d/cupsWith this content:

#!/bin/sh
service cups restartSave the file and make it executable:

sudo chmod +x /etc/network/if-up.d/cups

nss0000
November 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Happens to everyone. This sort of CUPS crappola will go on for weeks ... then on some random update be automagically **fixed** for your system. You can't "force" it to work.

When the bug gets crushed by Ubuntu-gawds then you will benefit. Not until. Don't even worry about it. As I remember it took a full YEAR for the temp-probe to be enabled in x64-U_8.04LTS on my Asus M2N mobo.

Ubuntu works when/how/as it wants to. Sit back -- enjoy it. You can't do a damm thing about it.

Hi all,
On my system cups don't start automatically. Yes, there's a cups file in /etc/init.d/ and yes, there's a link to this file in rc2.d.
"sudo service cups start" starts the service correctly but I MUST run this command systematically before print.
Could you help me to understand the problem and correct it ?

Thanks for your help,
Philippe

roi_danton
November 18th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Big thanks to you Morbius1. It works fine.

I've noticed that in Ubuntu 10.10, the start method for cups changed. No cups file in /etc/rc2.d, but the /etc/init.d/cups link goes to /lib/init/upstart_job.
No problem with cups start on my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop