PDA

View Full Version : Desktop preference quiz?

Gijith
April 18th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Hi all,

When I started using Linux, I quickly switched from ubuntu to kubuntu because... well there are a lot of reasons that I won't bother going into. But, very recently, I've taken another look at gnome based on a few application preferences and a little voice in my head that tells me kubuntu will eventually get dropped and I should jump ship. So I'm playing with a gnome live cd, and I'm completely torn. And in the event I ask for advise, people usually suggest I pick whichever suites me better or create some sort of hybrid desktop. Well, neither of those ideas is working for me because I honestly can't seem to make up my mind and I'm totally OCD about keeping gnome and kde separate...

So I wish I had someone or some thing that could just tell me what to use. I'm very familiar with that quiz that suggests distrobutions for people. Is there any sort of quiz or survey that does something comparable for gnome, kde, xfce, etc? Ya know, kinda picks one based on a person's psychological preferences? Thanks to anyone who knows. :)

ComplexNumber
April 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
it doesn't have to be one or the other. create 2 user accounts - one thats kde and the other thats gnome. then you can switch between them as your mood dictates.

nickle
April 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Not meaning to be glib, but when my kids have trouble making choices, the first thing I do is remind them that its great to be in a position to have a choice in the first place....:)
That's my take on the desktop story... To be honest, I don't think a quiz will help. Furthermore, I would nt leave a desktop I like for fear of it being dropped. Both Gnome and KDE (and perhaps others) have a large momentum behind them, so I suspect they will be with us for a while...:):):)

ShanghaiTeej
April 18th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Well, if you don't like mixing desktops (I think you mean using KDE programs on Gnome and such..which is completely alright...), just make a list of programs you like from each DE and write a comparison between them. Perhaps you can post it so people can tell you what you left out.

SeanTater
April 18th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I do not see KDE or GNOME stopping any time soon.. And if it does, I'd change then, not now.. Don't count or discount your chicks before they hatch!

banjobacon
April 19th, 2006, 12:10 AM
just make a list of programs you like from each DE and write a comparison between them. Perhaps you can post it so people can tell you what you left out.

Yes. If you're really that torn, make a list of pros and cons and post it. Then watch people tear it to sheds. Cross your fingers and hope it doesn't turn into a flamefest.

Gijith
April 19th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Thanks for responses, guys.

it doesn't have to be one or the other. create 2 user accounts - one thats kde and the other thats gnome. then you can switch between them as your mood dictates.

Definitely what I might end up doing.

when my kids have trouble making choices, the first thing I do is remind them that its great to be in a position to have a choice in the first place....

Thanks dad. I'm not trying to complain about the choice of desktops. It's great that ubuntu supports both. :D

I do not see KDE or GNOME stopping any time soon.. And if it does, I'd change then, not now.. Don't count or discount your chicks before they hatch!

I agree. GNOME and KDE will be around for a long time. I was referring to my specific and essentially baseless paranoia that Shuttleworth will sever ties with the KDE branch.

really that torn, make a list of pros and cons and post it. Then watch people tear it to sheds. Cross your fingers and hope it doesn't turn into a flamefest.

I've made that list myself, and yes, I don't wanna incite some gnome/kde crap on here. I have a pretty good idea of what the pros and cons are (though I probably will have questions in coming days). That was sort of my point; that I don't want users to have to coach newbies through the same flame wars. I was hoping there might be some clever automated thing out there that can try and guide people toward the right DE for them. There are many people who are very very inexperienced when they migrate over, myself being a good example. They don't know what the difference between two desktops would be or why there would be different programs for each. And they certainly don't want to have to install both. And, as many people have said, the difference between the two can often be seen in terms of the psychology and sociology of its users. I was thinking someone out there may have tried to build something off that.

:)

fuscia
April 19th, 2006, 03:51 AM
i switch all the time. at the moment, i have kde, gnome, xfce, openbox, fluxbox and w9wm all installed on my 10gb hd.

briancurtin
April 19th, 2006, 04:12 AM
try them all out, and/or search and see what others have said...

hizaguchi
April 19th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I don't think Kubuntu is going anywhere. Doesn't Mark Shuttleworth use KDE? I doubt the project will get dropped when the guy with the money uses it himself. :)

But I totally feel your pain in picking between the 2. I constantly float back and forth between Gnome, KDE, and Fluxbox, depending on my mood. I can't handle mixing the programs that I'm running at any one time because of my low ram, so I always want to pick one set of apps and stick with it. But it's hard because I like KDE as a whole much better than Gnome, but alot of great programs like Firefox, OpenOffice, the Gimp, Xara, Inkscape, and rox use GTK. So do I want the great looking, awesomely integrated KDE experience, or do I want to run some of the best applications without loading extra libraries? There's no easy way to pick.

AndyCooll
April 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Do you really need two accounts? You can logon with one account and just choose which type of "session" you want to run (Gnome, KDE or whatever). As far as I'm aware your desktop settings are saved for each of your desktops. I can't confirm this for sure since I don't wander between desktops.

:cool:

GeneralZod
April 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM
So I wish I had someone or some thing that could just tell me what to use. I'm very familiar with that quiz that suggests distrobutions for people. Is there any sort of quiz or survey that does something comparable for gnome, kde, xfce, etc? Ya know, kinda picks one based on a person's psychological preferences? Thanks to anyone who knows. :)

I suspect that simply flipping a coin would be more useful and accurate than an online quiz ;)

ShanghaiTeej
April 19th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I agree, flipping a coin has been scientifically proven to work. I even heard that it is pretty kick *** as well (kick *** like a karate chop, that is).