PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to clean install without booting from cd/usb?

Metrop021
November 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I'm trying to install the netbook remix on a rather old pc that has a broken cd drive and cannot boot off of a usb (it says it can but i've been unable to get it to do so). I was hoping i could copy the contents of the iso onto a partition and try to boot from that partition and by doing that running the 'cd', but i got a bunch of gibberish and a kernel panic when i tried.

Anyone have any ideas? It has another linux os on it so i can use that to play with the partitions.

C.S.Cameron
November 15th, 2010, 09:09 AM
You might want to give Plop boot manager a try to make your old computer boot from USB flash drive, works for me.
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagerdl.html

Otherwise you can hook the old HDD up to another, newer computer and install Ubuntu to it from there, then stick it back in the old computer.

Metrop021
November 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I was thinking about putting the HD into another comp and installing it that way but it's a strange specialized format (not the size itself, but there's some plastic crap on it) that makes it kinda hard to put into another comp. I was thinking about installing it on another comp I have and then just copying all of the files over to a partition (both comps have AMD athlons) but i'm pretty sure that wouldnt work.

I'll try the bootmanager when i get back from class, thanks!

Metrop021
November 15th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hey it looks like plop was able to solve my problem, i was able to boot from usb with it and i'm installing now. Looks like everything is good, thanks for the help!

C.S.Cameron
November 16th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Yeh, I'm quite impressed with plop myself.