PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS failed

gecko55
November 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Been running 8.04 on an Acer Extensa 4420 laptop for two years with only minor problems. Tonight I decided to upgrade to 10.04. It seemed to go pretty well, all the files downloaded and the install went forward with a few errors, the main one having to do with Likewise-open. At the end there was a message that said "cannot install Likewise-open". In the end there was a message the upgrade failed and the upgrade manager dialog box clossed before it got to the cleanup stage. I was expecting a restart and when it did not happen I pushed the icon in the upper right of the desktop that normally gives you shutdown options but my laptop immediately rebooted.

The reboot started fine, the new Ubuntu splash screen appeared for a second then went away, then a bunch of text flashed over the screen too fast to read. Then I got to a text based login, with a preceding line that indicated it was Ubuntu 10.04 I was logging into, but no GUI.

I can get into recovery mode, but can't get into the GUI. When the GUI tries to load it pauses for a long time at ... binding to YP server ... then ultimately fails, leaving me at the terminal prompt. When I login and try to get the the root I get a message "root: can't figure out DISPLAY, set it manually" but I don't know what that means, how to set the DISPLAY manually, or if that will solve may problem.

Any suggestions? Seems like it is close, but something is not quite right.

Additional Info: System boots, but only to terminal prompt, not desktop GUI. Can run Ubuntu 10.04 from Live CD and can see all my files on hardrive but any attempt to copy them is greeted with 'permission denied'. Now would just like to know how to get permission to copy my own files to USB harddrive, then I'll just do a clean re-install.