PDA

View Full Version : The "Audacity is brilliant" thread!

CJ_Hudson
November 14th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Hi, I wanted to express my adulation to the makers of Audacity. It is a fantastic program, I have been using it every day for the past month or so, and it has been brilliant. I can recommend it to all those interested in home/professional recording, it is easy to use, flexible, and I think that even after a month's constant use I still have not plumbed the depths of this program's usefulness. :-))))))))))))) Gold star!

Schrute Farms
November 15th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I agree. I use it to digitize vinyl and cassettes so I can put them on Cds or my MP3 player. Audacity works better than a music studio program I purchased a few years ago.

My favorite part is the export multiple function. In the past, after recording something, I had to individually select each song, copy/paste it into another track or window, then export it. With Audacity, all I have to do is select the beginning of each song, and it will export each track for me. There is also a silence finder that will find the beginnings of songs automatically, if you choose. That saves me so much time, that I'm finding it fun to break out all of my old records, or buy new ones, and recording them. Before, it almost seemed like a chore.

The only bug I find (and it might not even be Audacity's fault) is that my sound output in preferences has to be set every time I play back. But not a dealbreaker, by any means.

CJ_Hudson
November 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM
That's very interesting, I didn't realise it could split a recording up into individual tracks! Thanks.

Goldfissh
November 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Audacity is awesome! I've used it in the past for many things, such as recording voice overs for videos or even recording guitar. Brilliant stuff!

theozzlives
November 15th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I've split my recordings, but lately I use it for ringtones for my phone. You just pick what part of a song you want and wala you have a ringtone to bluetooth to your phone.

jroa
November 15th, 2010, 11:04 AM
That's very interesting, I didn't realise it could split a recording up into individual tracks! Thanks.

I think he meant splitting the individual songs off of a cassette or record.

I use Audacity for home guitar recording. It works great for this. I also use Tuxguitar for background music, like drums and bass. I can put that into Audacity and then record my instrument on top.

It is the easiest music editor I have tried.

TNT1
November 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I've split my recordings, but lately I use it for ringtones for my phone. You just pick what part of a song you want and wala you have a ringtone to bluetooth to your phone.

Been using audacity for ages for just that purpose... Audacity is the bomb.

CharlesA
November 15th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Moved to The Community Cafe, as this is not a support request.