PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] how to revert to lucid?

bodhidharma
November 14th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I'm running a Lenovo R61e which is an OK machine, I was very happy with Lucid Lynx... but I thought I might as well move to Meerkat, so I did today.
The upgrade went fine, but the new system is really slow and jerky and I'm starting to wonder why I made the move. I didn't really need anything from Meerkat, it was probably silly to change.

The badness at this point is: everything is *really* slow... to the point that videos inside Firefox are basically unwatchable (they jerk, skip, the audio goes *way* ahead, it gets stuck like an old-fashioned LP with a scratch....)

I'm wondering if experts can advise:
1) Is there anything widely known about what can be done to fix slowness and jerky video and audio on Meerkat with a pretty vanilla install.
2) If nothing is known, do we simply hope that in the coming months it will get better, that the usual daily automatic upgrades and bugfixes will simply cure the problems and eventually I will be able to use my machine as well as before?
3) Or does anyone know an easy way to revert to Lucid? E.g., is there anything I can do purely on the current machine which would do it? (I dunno, put all the repositories back to Lucid and do some apt magic...?) Or what if I put in a Lucid install CD and tried a fresh install -- in particular, would I loose my home directories and other personal info during such a process?

Thanks in advance!

wilee-nilee
November 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I'm running a Lenovo R61e which is an OK machine, I was very happy with Lucid Lynx... but I thought I might as well move to Meerkat, so I did today.
The upgrade went fine, but the new system is really slow and jerky and I'm starting to wonder why I made the move. I didn't really need anything from Meerkat, it was probably silly to change.

The badness at this point is: everything is *really* slow... to the point that videos inside Firefox are basically unwatchable (they jerk, skip, the audio goes *way* ahead, it gets stuck like an old-fashioned LP with a scratch....)

I'm wondering if experts can advise:
1) Is there anything widely known about what can be done to fix slowness and jerky video and audio on Meerkat with a pretty vanilla install.
2) If nothing is known, do we simply hope that in the coming months it will get better, that the usual daily automatic upgrades and bugfixes will simply cure the problems and eventually I will be able to use my machine as well as before?
3) Or does anyone know an easy way to revert to Lucid? E.g., is there anything I can do purely on the current machine which would do it? (I dunno, put all the repositories back to Lucid and do some apt magic...?) Or what if I put in a Lucid install CD and tried a fresh install -- in particular, would I loose my home directories and other personal info during such a process?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried loading Maverick to a thumb or burning a cd to confirm the problems. Ubuntu isn't designed to revert.

It may be that your upgrade didn't go as it should and a backup and just a fresh install will fix it for Maverick. You will have to do this basically to get back to lucid anyway.

You have so many questions I am just covering the relevant ones to begin with.

Frogs Hair
November 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Sorry your having problems , my Meerkat installation has been great . As for number 3. there is no way to downgrade , you will need to create backups and install Lucid again if you don't find workable solutions .