PDA

View Full Version : IRC not my cup of tea

slooksterpsv
November 14th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Hey All,

I love Ubuntu, don't get me wrong, but I have something a little more OT I wanted to discuss and get your guys' feedback on it.

I used to go onto the IRC Chats quite a bit and help others as well as just chit-chat with others and what not. It was great and all. Well, whenever I'd go ask questions or that people were really belittling - what's worse is it happened often. I'll admit I'm not the most elite when it comes to Linux, but I know my way around faily decently to get done what I want and extra.

Well in the IRC chat people belittle my questions or comments regarding specific items - don't have an example unfortunately; and even just get arrogant about it. Sadly, this is not the first time I've received this same kind of experience. The forums did do it before, but have really really clean-up since. The forums are great, and I barely see anyone treat others disrespectfully - if I do I try to jump in to difuse the issue.

Do you guys use the IRC and find this kind of issue common? I've actually quit a great team that I wanted to help, but didn't have the time to allocate towards it, due to someone being disrespectful and harsh. I really don't want this kind of behavior being viewed as common in the Ubuntu Community as it will really turn others against using the OS - I've stopped using it prior due to people acting as such.

I feel others represent the OS when they help others out, I know they don't fully represent it, but in someway, community wise, they do represent it - that's just me.

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense, but if it does, what are your thoughts? No arguments, no slander, no bashing (except /bin/bash =P (Linux joke)), no flaming, etc. Please follow the rules as stated in the boards.

I don't think I've stepped over a line posting this, but if I have, could you let me know.

Decatf
November 14th, 2010, 03:43 AM
IRC channels tend to be less strictly monitored and moderated. Comments aren't exactly permanently posted for all to see whenever they want like forums so people tend to show their true colours more often.

slooksterpsv
November 14th, 2010, 03:57 AM
IRC channels tend to be less strictly monitored and moderated. Comments aren't exactly permanently posted for all to see whenever they want like forums so people tend to show their true colours more often.

You're absolutely right, I whole-heartedly agree with that. I know some of them are public like #ubuntu-beginners and that to where the logs are searchable on the internet.

Dustin2128
November 14th, 2010, 06:58 AM
It's IRC. Enough said.

|{urse
November 14th, 2010, 07:06 AM
If the forums were as fast as irc I'm sure someone would belittle you much quicker. Theres just as much of that going on here but it all comes at you so much slower. Plus your questions on the forums are displayed in a topic-oriented manner.

The guys on freenode are great and if anyone is messing with you they will be dealt with pretty quickly.

Now if they would get with the program and set hostmasks so every dork with a flooder and some ciscos doesnt simply have to right click to see your ip.. but thats another thing.

simpleblue
November 14th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I used to go onto the IRC Chats quite a bit and help others as well as just chit-chat with others and what not. It was great and all. Well, whenever I'd go ask questions or that people were really belittling - what's worse is it happened often.

This is nothing new slook. It has always been like this. Infact, I think it's calmed down quite a bit since. I find that 'good' close-knit groups with 24hr moderators can do wonders. I've been a part of an IRC group that has been extremely enjoyable, so please don't make a judgement based on this channel alone when so many other great channels are out there.

If anyone treating you in a disrespectful manner I would tell a mod. If a mod is not present then I'd choose a channel that has a fulltime mod.

Have you ever been on Yahoo Chat? Gave that up long ago. They actually have 'clicks' and gangs that harass you and try to kick you off the channel. I question why anyone would put up with that.

The Real Dave
November 14th, 2010, 11:45 AM
All the IRC stuff is logged, so it would be possible to have someone look back through everything, and ban/punish mean users. That said, the time commitment would be crazy.

There are some / flags you can use on IRC to call attention to the Channel mods. Report issues such as those you describe.

You're right saying that people in the IRC channels, and here represent the distro. A big part of Ubuntu's appeal is the feeling of being part of a big family. Every family has it's brats, they need to be made sit on the naughty step every now and then ;)

drawkcab
November 14th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I used to participate in IRC chat going way back to the early 90s and nowadays I have a pretty thick skin. All I can say is that you're going to need to toughen up a bit to deal with the narcissistic jackasses who have nothing better to do than anonymously seek negative attention.

If you don't take all this personally, you can actually learn a lot. Truth be told, you should probably feel sorry for these folks rather than feeling angry or hurt (think of the pathetic comic book store owner from the simpsons). Use their arrogance and condesension to your advantage (after all, they desire to demonstrate their superior knowledge--if not their superior character) and then vow never to act in the same manner within your own sphere of expertise.

slooksterpsv
November 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM

You're right saying that people in the IRC channels, and here represent the distro. A big part of Ubuntu's appeal is the feeling of being part of a big family. Every family has it's brats, they need to be made sit on the naughty step every now and then ;)

Reading that made me smile. We're one big different family, some bratty, some not, some nice, some not, all a mix =D