PDA

View Full Version : forum question for messaging

c00lwaterz
November 13th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Hi,

I wonder if ubuntuforums.org will make chat sessions or something like in facebook? or a channel that is inside the ubuntuforums.org

I know there is irc but something inside here is more easy to communicate to buddies and contacts.

any idea ?

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
November 14th, 2010, 12:58 AM
no.

Joeb454
November 14th, 2010, 01:09 AM
This would be something that is:

1) Difficult to implement
2) Used by very few members at most (probably)

You could also use the freenode webchat, which requires no IRC client installed: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntuforums

c00lwaterz
November 14th, 2010, 11:29 AM
This would be something that is:

1) Difficult to implement
2) Used by very few members at most (probably)

You could also use the freenode webchat, which requires no IRC client installed: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntuforums

but it is third party client. maybe hard to implement as it will revamp the whole forum?

drawkcab
November 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I have to agree that it would be kind of fun to have a live chat function but, at the same time, having been a mod on a large and popular forum, I would have to also say that it would be nightmare to police.

Joeb454
November 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I have to agree that it would be kind of fun to have a live chat function but, at the same time, having been a mod on a large and popular forum, I would have to also say that it would be nightmare to police.

This too :) we get enough work from the reports and the spam ;)

drawkcab
November 14th, 2010, 08:51 PM
This too :) we get enough work from the reports and the spam ;)

Members are often unaware of the hours of mod work that goes on behind the scenes to keep a good forum like this one running well, especially when there's trouble.

I think that is part of the reason members are bewildered when their experiences in other corners of the internet are not quite as civilized as ubuntuforums.